Recovering an exchange mailbox to a server with a different name.
I have two exchange 2003 servers. EXCH1 is in production and EXCH2 is a
test server. Both server run Windows 2003. My two domain controllers
run Windows 2000.
My dilema is that is am having problems recovering a mailbox that I
created in EXCH1 to EXCH2. These are the steps I performed.
1. I created a test user in ADS on my Win2K DC called johnd and set up
the mailbox on EXCH1.
2. I sent some mail and created some contacts, appointments etc just to
populate the mailbox.
3. Using System Manager on EXCH1, I moved the mailbox to a storage
group called Unrestricted.
3. I then backed up the Unrestricted mail store using Windows Backup on
4. I deleted the user, johnd, from ADS and I also deleted the mailbox
johnd from EXCH1.
5. On EXCH2, I created a recovery storage group and named it
Unrestricted, the same as that store I backed up on EXCH1.
6. I then added the Unrestricted mail store database to this recovery
7. Using Windows Backup on EXCH2, I restored the unrestricted mail
8. I mounted the mail store and it mounted successfully.
9. When right click on the johnd mailbox and went into Exchange Tasks
to Recover Mailbox Data the destination mailbox store is pointing to
EXCH1/Unrestricted/Unrestricted Mailbox Store. And there is no way for
me to change that path.
Can this procedure even be done? Is it because the recovery server has
a different name that this is happening? Is there any way to bypass or
work around this?