Recovering email from Outlook on crashed comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

festis88

Solid State Member
My laptop crashed about a week ago and I've since bought a new one. But the hard drive is still ok (from what a computer tech told me) and I have a HD enclosure that I'm going to put it in later today. So assuming that I will have access to the HD, my question is:

How do I get to my emails that were in outlook on the old computer? I don't have outlook or anything like that on the new one. Is there a file or group of files that contain the contents of my Inbox, and if so, what will I need to open it?

And I'm pretty sure it doesn't work this way, after plugging the old HD into my USB port with the enclosure, will I be able to run outlook? If it does work that way then I guess I wouldn't need to know the answer to the other question since I could just grab the emails I need.

Thanks.

Default location for the .pst file is C:\Documents and Settings\user_id\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook.

You will need to import that into Outlook on your new computer. Outlook will need to be installed onto the workstation.

(make sure you show hidden files)

OK, I finally got into the old HD and copied the outlook.pst file to my new system. But now I have a new problem.

I don't have outlook on the new comp because I bought Home and Student Office, and I dont particularly want to install the entire office pro trial.

Is there a freeware viewer out there that just lets you open pst files and then drag those over to microsoft mail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom