Recovering Data w/ OnTask + Knoppix --Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

YelFerrari

Beta member
Hello everyone. Pardon this for being my first post, but I am need of some serious help. Just so you know, I have finished sifting through all of the relevant posts all the way back to 2004 in this forum.(I hate it when people post a question that has already been answered). I gleaned some good ideas, but nothing hit the bullseye so I am going to outline my situation and hope someone has had this experience.

Let's start at the beginning. For the last few weeks my 3yr old computer (P2.4, 1GB Ram, Seagate 80GB(master), WD 120GB (slave), ATI X800 XT PE, Creative Audigy Pro SC) has been running sluggishly. This was following an extended period where a total moron had access to this computer and managed to pick up every spyware and adware program the internet had to offer. I used Spybot S&D and AdAware SE Personal to clean out many of those programs. However, there was one that was persistent, and given the slow response of the computer, I tried re-installing Windows XP. That install did not go smoothly (read: XP stopped working). I finally managed to get XP back up on the primary drive after buying the WD 120GB and loading up XP on the new WD drive. After a few tries I got XP to load on my Seagate and I was able to set the WD to slave again.

Things have been running for the last six weeks albeit with ridiculously long load times on the windows startup screen (blue background where user selection takes place). Once beyond the startup screen, the computer would function normally (game performance was still poor in HL2 with skipping and very long load times).

And now for the catalyst: I purchased the Sims 2 University for my GF and installed it on the WD 120GB because I was weary of the Seagate 80. Install went fine, but upon reboot, the computer bounced back a message that it could not load the OS. Thankfully, I had the working version of XP on the slave so I switched cables and jumpers and loaded up XP on the WD 120.

I was really concerned that this was it for the Seagate so I ordered OnTrack Easy Recovery. Poking around on the Seagate under the drive properties it said that the drive was not formatted and it did not recognize a file system. Once I got On Track installed I ran the full diagnostic and it errored out. Then I tried the file recovery and it only found 35GB of data. Once restored to the WD 120 the folders and files had no file names.

At this point, I want to know what the next step should be. OnTrack doesnÂ’t seem to be recovering any useable files, and Knoppix cannot mount the Seagate to explore what is left. Do I re-install windows? Should I reformat the drive to NTFS and then try to recover data again with OnTrack? Any suggestions?

Thank you so much!

-Mike

I'm sorry to say this, but I think your drive is dead.

I would have suggested running s checkdisk operation to see if that would help, as it does in most cases of data corruption, but after running the tools you have, I don't think it will do any good.

is there really something that important to recover?

At this point, I know the drive is compromised. What I am looking for is the death bed confessional where the Seagate gasps out the data I am looking for.

I don't have a problem switching to the WD 120, as I can reinstall all my apps and games, its just the thesis papers and emails pertaining to them that I am trying to get at.

-Mike

hmmm. have you tried running checkdisk from the windows recovery console? it might help...
I have used the ontrack recovery service, where I sent the drive off, but never their software.
so I might no be too much help...

edit...
which version did you get?

Easy Recovery Pro 6.04

I have not had a chance to run checkdisk. I spent the night sleeping on the couch watching ERP scan my drive and try to recover files. (yawn).

-Mike

$500 ? Damn... this must be important...
I was going through looking at the options and what it can and can't do, but I don't know what to tell you from here. I might suggest, if you have the cash to send it off to them to get the data off. I think for $100 or so, they will tell you if they can get it off, and then you have to pay the rest of the recovery cost at that point...
good luck, and sorry I couldn't be of more help...

Well when you have 120K worth the education riding on a thesis project that has been in the works for the last year and a half, getting data back is kinda important. All is not lost, my professor has last week's update, but I've poured a week's worth the work into it since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom