Recover MBR

Status
Not open for further replies.

hickfarm

In Runtime
Ok i feel incredibly stupid right now. I reformatted my pc and I disconnect both of my external harddrives. Except for one. Anyways i was setting windows up on a 320gig hard drive. I didn't notice it at first but my other usb hard drive showed up first and i deleted the partition, but never formatted it.

So basically i can see the disk in the Disk management. So what program can i use that is free or buy that i can recover the MBR. I have some important stuff on there and i also backed up around 15 gigs of steam games before i reformatted so it will really take a load off my bandwidth. So does anybody have any experience with this? Or at least know of a good program to use.

You will have to download the Steam games again. Just having the files will do nothign for you. You will be missing the Registry files that make them work.

Saxon gave the best link to try and recover the partition. But it is NOT the MBR. The MBR is the Master Boot Record used to boot the machine. Which would not allow to get into Windows to even see the Disk Management screen.

You will have to download the Steam games again. Just having the files will do nothign for you. You will be missing the Registry files that make them work.

Saxon gave the best link to try and recover the partition. But it is NOT the MBR. The MBR is the Master Boot Record used to boot the machine. Which would not allow to get into Windows to even see the Disk Management screen.

I used the backup feature through steam. So they should still work.

Okay. Well they should. But you have to first create a partition on there and then use Recovery Software to try and recover the data.

Well this is a data drive so i have xp installed on my main Harddrive that i wanted to in the first place.

So i guess i worded it wrong that i need the MBR. I guess i just need the NTFS table if anything since i deleted the partition.

Is there any way to restore the partition and still have all the files on it? Cause i never formatted it. Just deleted the partition. So there is some hope. Just don't know the best way of getting it.

You will have to do what i said above. Create a new partition and use File Recovery Software. That is your best bet.

Not to be mean but you are wrong. I was able to use Recover My Files program and it showed the Harddrive just like it was before. I was able to recover all 22gigs of information that was on it.
You have no idea how happy i am that this worked. So ya thanks for the advice everybody. I acquired Recover My Files and it worked flawlessly.

How was i wrong. You still used a file recovery program. The only thing you didnt do that i said was create a partition.

So i was still partitally right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom