Reconvering over-written files? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 03:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Recovering over-written files?

I need help desperately.. While i was not on computer my bro selected most of mp3s.. And with Mediamonkey ( auto-organisation ) feature.. he accidentely REPLACED all of them.. GEEZ! I tried pc-inspector.. and Easyrecovery professional by Ontrack But no luck.. Seriously is there no any way to get those files back? Or least just know which and how many were replaced to what?

Old 04-26-2006, 04:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Law
Wizard Techie

I don't get what you mean when he "replaced". Wouldn't it just be like replacing the original one which wouldn't do any harm since it's the same file, or did you mean he "deleted" the file? Which one is it, because I don't know what mediamonkey did. Never even heard or used such a program.

If he accidently delete these file, it would be very hard to recover multimedia files because they usually become corrupted after being deleted. From my experience though, I have never been able to recover any musics, pictures or videos.

Files that are deleted and overwritten are almost impossible for you to recover with softwares.

Old 04-26-2006, 04:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

"He replaced the current version of files with the old ones" Auto-organisation feature may have renamed files to like Track 1 and ignoring all warnings he messed up thousands of mp3s from library.. And well have you used Ontrack products? i have recoverd many filetypes including multimedia ones.. But no luck with over-written files guess they are gone forever. Windows should log such activities so atleast we can know what files were altered. :\
Old 04-26-2006, 04:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Law
Wizard Techie

It does log every file, but it doesn't keep a log file. The log can be view if you right click a file and go to it's properties. It'll say modified <date><time>. Of course this would be alot of work looking at all the files. Nah I haven't use ontrack, it's been a long time since I tried recovery files.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Law
Wizard Techie

Of course you can always do an advanced search. Using M$ build in search program you can search for file that are modified during a certain date.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

from what i understood the files were just renamed , so why did you even try data recovery softwares? they didnt got deleted , simply load em youll see the ID3 tags and start renaming back.. and if the tags got changed too then i hope you got good memory

edit mediamonkey dont have an undo function?
Old 04-26-2006, 06:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

jeremy I SAID that's how the files may have been REPLACED. Say All tracks in folder got changed to Track1.mp3 and when you say " yes to all " to warning for replacement.. it overwrites That's what my bro did to thousands of mp3s.. And i cant sit and guess which files were deleted. :\

Now that would be only a future suggestion for mediamonkey to lock folders/files from being altered and also log such tasks.

Closed Thread