receiving someone elses typing in word - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 06:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Unhappy receiving someone elses typing in word

my wifes computer is picking up someone elses typing when she uses Word. Its like the thing is haunted. And it's not just gibberish it's someone typing. I thought it might have been the frequency that her wireless keyboard & mouse was using, but after replacing that, i find it's still doing the same thing. Any ideas?
shes running a PIII 800mhz w/512 ram & XP pro corporate

Old 08-01-2004, 06:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

update you virus definitions and boot in safe mode run a complete system scan... trojans like BO2k, sub seven or School Bus can be the cause. If not a trojan it could be a virus.

NOTE: I would advise you to log on to safe mode with networking while you try to download the updates.

Old 08-01-2004, 06:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

If the anti virus does not detect anything.... run a hijack this and post the log here....
Old 08-01-2004, 06:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

i'll have to try running cleaner on it, it's not a virus as we have system suite 5 with all definitions updated & it comes up clean. Is there a program that you think is better then cleaner? i'm all ears. And thanks for your help
Old 08-01-2004, 06:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

See as far as I can think at this time... Its not possible that the frequency of the keyboard or mouse mismatched with someone else as these devices are running based on Infra Red rays and it cannot sense anything more than 10 feets away and that too should be inline with the reciever right....
So its gotta be someone playing with ur system thru a trojan horse... or a virus! cleaner is a good choice.... but if you still don't get it fixed run hijack this and post the results...

NOTE: Something important - Just boot in simple safe mode and tell me if the keyboard still acts as this will clarify a lotta stuff (as you can not be online then for a person to play with the system using a trojan)
Old 08-01-2004, 03:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I actually had this happen once. Installed zone alarm and it stopped shortly after. It started to occur shortly after I got cable internet, too so dont know what the exact reason...

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Old 08-01-2004, 07:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

i had this problem too . its a trojan for sure some one has hacked into your pc i think. i recomend mcafee v8.0 and norton internet security. hopefully it will solve your problem..!
Old 08-02-2004, 08:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
ADZ
Master Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to ADZ

http://housecall.antivirus.com -> Run an Online Virus Scan here. See what it picks up.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of things is it typing?
Old 08-02-2004, 10:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Vnet
i recomend mcafee v8.0 and norton internet security.
IMHO, the FW protection that comes with NIS is nowhere as good as ZoneAlarm.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Techie

disconnect it from the internet and see if it's still doing it.....yeah, what the heck is being typed? How often does this happen? Spooky though. Hell it was spooky enough when i was on line with a cable tech from cox cable and I allowed him control of my computer....seeing that mouse curser moving by itself was unnerving.:amazed:

Closed Thread