Receiving Fax to PC on a Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1gapl

Mod Emeritus
The printer is located in the living, installed on my brother's computer. I've set the printer to shared, on the network, so I'm able to print from my room. But is there a way that I can receive fax to my computer?

I am guessing you dont have a phone line or a modem hooked up right? If no phone line no fax as there is no way they can call you machine and hook up for a fax. Plus you would have to make sure your modem was a fax modem as well in order for that to work.

If you have any phone lines connected to a PC that has a fax modem then yes you can recieve a fax. Just have to dial the line number hooked up to the PC and make sure the PC is set to recieve the calls for fax. ;)

Ah, I see. I was looking around the printer folder, and on the side bar, it says "See what's printing." So I waited for a fax to see if this will work. It attempts on previewing the fax being printed in the living room, but it fails a few seconds in. Is it because the living room computer has to be on?...because usually the computer is on stand by at night, when the faxes usually arrive.

Most likely. Since it is trying to access the file on that PC when it isnt currently active that could be why it failed.

Sorry to necropost, but just an update of what I've done so far.

Luckily I found a modem PCI card lying around, and also found the drivers for it. So I have this phone line splitter hooked at the cable modem, with one going to the phone out in the living room (that's connected to the printer), and the other is going to the modem that I just installed in my rig.

Fax is received fine, but the problem is, when the fax is multiple paged, I can only view the first page of the fax. I tried looking for an option to show me all the pages, but couldn't see any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom