reboot looping over and over - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 02-16-2005, 07:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default reboot looping over and over

when booting up, gets about 1/2 way across the start page with windows at
the top, then flashes back the dos screen and starts over...

like it is in a loop. can't get past it either

i have the same problem with my pc. i installed xp pro sp2 a week ago and now my pc keeps re booting on the start up screen. i tried to reinstall the os and my pc gives me the blue screen of death saying initialization failed. help!!!

Old 02-16-2005, 08:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Check memory and power supply. those would be the likely culprits. Memory may be bad, or the voltage may be going out of phase on the PS. just a few ideas...

good luck

Old 02-16-2005, 08:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie
Default Re:

Did this occur before installing SP2 ? I would advise you try uninstalling Windows XP SP2. If you can't get into windows via safe mode to uninstall it, then you'll have to do it in the Windows XP Recovery Console. Methods are here:

I had exactly the same problem on my current machine when I installed SP2, and it only appeared several days after installing SP2. With analysis, I discovered that I had an ntoskrnl.exe file corruption of some sort, and found out that the problem was due to the use of a Boot Screen Editing Program. I attempted to restore the ntoskrnl.exe file with the default file, but no luck. The file in use was the SP1 version instead of the SP2 version. Turned out that the boot screen editing program locked onto the SP1 version. So in the end I had to uninstall SP2 in the Recovery Console.

Your issue may not necessarily be the same, however uninstalling SP2 would be a wise step, and would most probably resolve the issue. It is likely that there is some kind of file or driver which is not compatible with SP2.

|Desktop PC| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)| |AMD FX 4100 Black Edition 3.6 GHz @ 4.0 GHz OC| |Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 PRO| |Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Super Overclock 1GB| |ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD SATA III HDD| |Kingston HyperX 8GB PC3-14900 DDR3-1866| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 02-16-2005, 08:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Or check if your BIOS version is supported by SP2. If it isn't, get an upgrade and flash it to a newer version.

Its a frigging Laptop, not a Labtop!!!!
Old 02-16-2005, 08:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Content Team

Other than installing sp2 , have you been been inside your case replacing anything?
Closed Thread