Really really big problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuickStar

Baseband Member
Ok.. letme explain, thanks first off.

Ok, heres my problem.

I got sick of Windows 98 so i tried to reformat and the operating system messed up, so i made a windows 98 boot disc and it came up with a command type prompt thing, i managed to re formated my C: drive (By typing "format C:") now, i gues that means i have no windows 98 install, i then proceeded to call the Volume C and that was that.

Ok, heres where the fun begins.

1. The only disc i have is Windows 98 Update 2 (Its a update disc - not the real thing)

2. I'd much rather install Debian Linux than windows 98 becuase i will be running a server

3. Everytime i pop in any other CD disc other than my Windows 98 boot disc, it says disc error.

4. Windows 98 is completely Un installed and theres no way to get it back that i can see.

Really really thanks for the help. Its a much older system but i know it can handly it, i don't want windows Xp on it becuase it would just eat the resources. Thanks alot againr eally

If it's an update disc I don't think you can really install 98 from it. Try deleting the partitions completely, and then run your Debian cd.

Whats the command to delete paritions completely? I only have access to the boot discs command prompt.

Hmmm, ok. Thanks, thats what i needed to know, now.. to keep things rolling smoothley (TY Alot btw, this is my passed time project im working on and now i need to use it as a gaming server for some friends)

1. Thanks btw.

2. Debian would be the right choice for a gaming server am i right? (Thats what me and another guy i used to work with used, debian was always used for running web servers)

3. Ok, sense i moved to a new office all my old office supplies were stripped and im now without a copy of Debian, i downloaded it from its website as a .iso, and just copied it over to a blank CD and burnt it (I didn't think it needed anything else, i always thought .iso were always good) Anyways i popped it in and nothing loaded, i was like.. what the hell. This is the proper way to do it am i right? If not... can you please enlighten on the proper way? I was always server management (Like databases and stuff) never worked on the hardware.. that was my friend, then again, that was for a real job, this is just a past time.

Anyways thanks for you're help, maybe if Debian is not what i needed, you could tell me what is! Thanks Alot!

If you have Nero, or some other burning software, burn it as a image or saved project. It needs to be burned as an image.

Any distro of linux can be used as a server because every linux is essentially the same. they all just have a different way of handling certain things.

anyway, i've never really made a disc without nero, so that's the only way i know it will work.

Hmm that still doesn't seem to do it, i pop the disc in, the computer starts, and it comes up with a black screen stating No Operating System is installed. Will i have to refer back to my Windows 98 boot disc in order to load the files or something along those lines?

Yes. Aslong as by that you mean i push F1 to enter set up mode when the computer is booting up. I set it to "ATAPI CD-ROM)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom