Really crazy computer problem - computer thinks I have no Network or Graphics Cards - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 05:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Really crazy computer problem - computer thinks I have no Network or Graphics Cards

Clearly I have a network card (I'm using the internet right now to post on this forum), and seeing as I can play all my games just fine I clearly have my graphics card (and I can access my software to modify settings on my graphics card).

Yet... Windows tells me when I try to update my graphics drivers that I don't have a card, and that it can't continue!

Also when trying to set up a "Home or Small office network" blah blah... it tells me I don't have a network card!

I thought I'd try to do a "Windows Repair" installation from my Windows XP Home disc... so I booted up the disc, went through the process, and what does it tell me? That apperantly, I don't have a Hard Disk Drive.

When I click on "My Computer" it does the little flashlight searching thing for 2-3 minutes... it never used to do that. It just spontaniously started doing this a few months ago. Seeing as everything's worked fine, I can play my games, use the internet, etc. I've just left it. But I'm getting nervous that I've gone so long not being able to update my graphics drivers.

Does anyone know what the problem could possibly be?

Old 12-26-2006, 05:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

My best suggestion is for a clean install. Something went haywire on your system, who knows where to start. Can you post a screenshot of the error message?

Old 12-26-2006, 05:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I've attached a screenshot of the error.

When I went to do a "Repair Installation" after booting with my Windows XP Home CD my computer could not find any HDD's and thus couldn't continue. I can only assume that if I tried to do a full new install I would run the same problem by booting from my CD ROM...

Oh wow, and in attempting to paste this screenshot apperantly Paint takes 5 minutes to load as well. Really weird
Attached Images
File Type: jpg no-network-card.jpg (52.1 KB, 43 views)
Old 12-26-2006, 05:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

are you on xp pro?
Old 12-26-2006, 06:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

No, Windows XP Home w/ SP2 I believe
I get the exact same error message when I try to update my graphics drivers (cannot find hardware)
Old 12-27-2006, 01:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

did you try installing via hardware manager and just path it out directly to the driver file (bypass the executable driver install)?

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Closed Thread