readyboost windows 7

chrisl2366

Solid State Member
hi, i have my mothers laptop it has a pentium and only 2 gb of ram and i just installed windows 7 on her laptop and i put in a 16gb flash drive and tried to use readyboost for her to speed it up a little bit, i know its not a miricle but i cant upgrade her ram for a couple more weeks so i want to use the readyboost function. i go there and it says readyboost isnt enabled because it thinks i have an SSD installed but i dont. I need to know where to go to reenable it. I have made sure superfetch is on. Im thinking its in the registry and i searched it for readyboost, it found it but it didnt have a option to re enabe it. Any help would be great. her laptop is running but its the very least amount of ram that would run windows 7.

Trick to Use Incapable USB Key with ReadyBoost

Insert USB Key into any USB2.0 port. Let Windows Vista detects and install driver fro the flash memory disk.
Ignore AutoPlay popup dialog window.
Open up Computer.
Right click on the Removable Media drive, then select Properties.
Click on ReadyBoost tab.
Check (tick) Do not retest this device, then click OK.
Open Registry Editor (type regedit in Start Search).
Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\EMDMgmt
Inside EMDMgmt registry key, all USB keys that been detected before is listed with the pattern such as (in one line, split for readability):

_??_USBSTOR#Disk&Ven_SanDisk&Prod_Cruzer_Micro&Rev_0.1#
20042203920759B05025&0#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}_2253922835

Inside the value date of the key, there are ReadyBoost requirement check status. So locate a registry subkey that belongs to your USB flash disk. If you fail to recognize the name of your USB flash device brand or model, try to check for value DeviceStatus which has value 4 (failed ReadyBoost check).
On the right pane, double click on DeviceStatus, and modify the value date to 2.
Double click on WriteSpeedKBs and change its value data to 1000 (Decimal) or 3e8 (Hexadecimal), or any higher amount.
Reinsert the USB key to computer.
Open My Computer.
Right click on Removable Disk drive for the USB key, and select Properties on contextual menu.
Click on ReadyBoost tab.
Select Use this device option button.
Click OK when done, and enjoy ReadyBoost although on a slower flash memory.

Source: Trick to Use Any USB Key or Flash Drive to Ready Boost Vista « My Digital Life

Back
Top Bottom