ReadyBoost and Superfetch

Status
Not open for further replies.

MenschX

Baseband Member
Got a couple of questions...
Tried to use one of my flash drives with ReadyBoost, but I received this error:

ReadyBoost it not enabled because the service responsible for ReadyBoost (Sysmain) has been turned off onthis computer. An administrator can turn the sysmain service back on.

I can't find anything in the help files on how to turn it back on.
There is no advanced tab or anything. where do i go?

I went into computer management under services, but couldn't find anything.

and what is superfetch? it also is disabled. should it be? [I just enabled it, but not sure if that's good or bad]

most importantly tho...how do I turn on readyboost? I am not sure why it was disabled in the first place. I may was playing around and screwed things up. dun know.

SuperFetch is a memory management tool which is related to ReadyBoost with USB drives.
Yes Enable it and see if that changes anything

Is this Vista or Win7?

its windows 7. I enabled it, but didn't change anything. still tells me it is disabled [readyboost]
I'll reboot and see what happens.

nope didnt' do a thing. under the readyboost tab is a red x telling me the service is not turned on.
just like before.

here's what I found:
•If your computer has a hard disk that uses solid-state drive (SSD) technology, you might not see an option to speed up your computer with ReadyBoost when you plug in a USB flash drive or flash memory card. You may instead receive the message, “Readyboost is not enabled on this computer because the system disk is fast enough that ReadyBoost is unlikely to provide any additional benefit.” This is because some SSD drives are so fast they're unlikely to benefit from ReadyBoost.

I guess that explains.

ReadyBoost is to use a USB FLashDrive as RAM. It is useless if you have more than 4GB of RAM and really is useless beyond 2GB. To fully utilize it you must have double the space on the USB Drive than your currently installed RAM.

SuperFetch is what is used in Vista/Win7 which was previously called Pre-Fetch in XP. It learns your behavior and programs you run on a regular basis and pre-loads the information to the RAM so the program will launch faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom