Reading CDs burnt from windows vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue4paper

In Runtime
Well when i was switching from vista over to xp I was burning my music to DVDs as backups. When i was done installing windows xp, i tried burning my music over from the dvds, but for some reason they weren't being read and the dvd appeared blank.

I tried my other computer (desktop computer, the computer which i'm talking about is a laptop) as well, but the same result.

What format does Vista use to write to DVDs and or CDs.

What do i need to view them on windows xp?

Well thing is, when i was going to eject the cds/dvds after they were done copying, a little message box appeared. It said (close to this) "the cd/dvd needs to finalize so that other computers are able to read them", but for some reason it wont read on my main computer.

Although, i did try something,my older older laptop that uses ubuntu can read them... So i must need a driver for the specific format of the dvd/cd.

No. You dont need a driver. You need to finalize the disk as Windows said. If you got the error saying that it needed to be finalize for other systems to read it that means that it is not done and should be done.

Ubuntu can read it because it is not Windows. I bet if you put it back in the same machine it will read it as well. Cause that is the machine that started the process. Yet if you put in it in a different windows machine it wont be read.

Finalize the disk so that it can be read in other Windows machines.

Thing is, when i tried opening the cd/dvd tray it said in a small balloon icon at the button of the screen that i couldn't eject until it was done finalizing. After a small period of roughly 1 minute the icon said it was ok to take the cd out, which is what i did.

So technically all the cds got finalized, but none of them show up on either computer/laptop.

Technically if they got finalized they would work on the other systems. There is no half way finalization where it will only work on certain machine and not others. It is a all or nothing deal. Since it does not show up, then it must not have finalized properly and must be done again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom