Re-install windows on SSD question

steves85

Baseband Member
Hi,

I am just curious, I install windows onto an SSD (C drive), and have a D: drive for Programs, and E: for Data.

If I was to reformat my SSD and re-install windows, would I have to erase my D: drive and re-install those programs as well?

Im thinking that is probably the case but my friend tried it, and said 90% of his programs still worked, and the fact he is a dumb ass made me think it should 100% work?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi,
the fact he is a dumb ass

Thanks

Your friend is indeed questionable when it comes to computer information.

If you format a drive, it effectively "erases" all your programs and data on that drive. So if you format your main OS D: drive, it will wipe all the programs and data that is contained on that drive.

If you mean that you 3 drives, a Main OS disk (The SSD), and two others for data and storage. Even if they did still work, and i doubt it would, it would likely not work very well. A large amount of programs today install utilization software that might not work, plus it would have to be actually installed on the SSD!.. (Your OS would have no referance to any programs installed)

that didnt come out very well so all i will say is just NO.

Last edited:
If you format the C: drive (your OS drive), it's possible that some programs may still work. It depends on the program entirely. If the program writes registry entries or puts files in the system directories, they wouldn't work.

It would be best to reinstall all your programs as well just to make sure.

Yeah, it depends on the program. I have a set up very similar (120GB SSD for Windows, 1TB for programs, 4TB for data, and 3TB for backups), and a few programs did need to be reinstalled (Origin, I'm pointing at you)

IMO best bet would be to reinstall the programs as well. I like having a completely clean installation when I reformat.

Thanks guys, I had done the whole clean install before, and looks like I will be doing it in future.

Back
Top Bottom