Re-install win 10, or back-up image??

smurph

In Runtime
I am getting BSODs, so I'm guessing my 2 year old SSD with my OS is about to give up (as did the last one between 1-2 yrs).
So looks like I'll have to do a windows re-install or rebuild very shortly.

I have win7 disc and licence, but auto upgraded free to win10 a while back….

So do I make an image back-up (on another HDD) and use that?
Or, I prefer to do a clean install, and if so how and what licence no. do I use?

Note, it's only the OS, other files on another HDD.

Firstly, what are the BSOD STOP codes? Do you know for sure that it's disk failure, according to the codes?

Secondly, if you use the Media Creation Tool from MS and create a bootable flash drive or ISO, when you go to reinstall Win10 - you shouldn't have to do anything. Just skip the serial #, and once it connects to the internet you can activate. If you don't trust that, then enter your Win7 serial # and it should activate.

So took it to the local repair shop, who over 2 weeks seemed to struggle to fully diagnose.
Ended up with first new processor, then a new mobo, and also a failed RAM stick & WiFi card not functioning.
So, now have a working PC with new AMD mobo, less one stick of ram, thus running a little slower.
Anyway, I didn't get to do the media creation tool, and the repair shop didn't cater for this....
My issue now is, how to i re-activate windows with my win7 s/n (have tried and failed)?
I was told it would be related to old mobo/bios or something, but now that's gone!

So took it to the local repair shop, who over 2 weeks seemed to struggle to fully diagnose.
Ended up with first new processor, then a new mobo, and also a failed RAM stick & WiFi card not functioning.
So, now have a working PC with new AMD mobo, less one stick of ram, thus running a little slower.
Anyway, I didn't get to do the media creation tool, and the repair shop didn't cater for this....
My issue now is, how to i re-activate windows with my win7 s/n (have tried and failed)?
I was told it would be related to old mobo/bios or something, but now that's gone!

Correct. Assuming you had Windows 7 OEM prior to this, and upgraded to Windows 10...it kept the OEM licensing - which means the license is tied to the CPU/motherboard. The way around that would have been to tie the license to your Microsoft account so that it can be digitally transferred. Unfortunately, if you didn't do that...you'll either have to find a way to call MS to try and get it reactivated - or buy a new license for Windows 10.

Back
Top Bottom