Re-do WSUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbduballstrs

Baseband Member
I have a DFS server in which I run WSUS. I have two physical drives, the first has the OS(WIN 2003) and the other has WSUS data. I reloaded the OS and had re-set up WSUS but I didn't delete the updates that I had stored in WSUScontent. The problem is, it's not picking up the Windows Updates stored in the WSUScontent folder. Does anyone know how I can get the WSUS to sync with the updates I have stored from the previous installation of WSUS? I have over 6GB of microsoft updates and it would be a real pain to have to download them all again. Sorry if it's confususing.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/Library/c0f1a661-eb48-4156-81a2-267d846f844f1033.mspx

To restore the update file storage folder

1. On your WSUS server, click Start, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type %systemdrive%\%windir%\system32\ntbackup.exe and then click OK.

3. In the Backup or Restore Wizard, click Next.

4. Click Restore files and settings, and then click Next.

5. In the What to restore dialog box, under Items to restore, expand the file that contains the WSUSContent folder (under %systemdrive%\WSUS\), and then click Next.

• Alternatively, you can select a subset of the %systemdrive%\WSUS\WSUSContent folder to restore. Within the %systemdrive%\WSUS\WSUSContent folder, you can restore one, all, or a combination of its subfolders and files.

6. If you want to set additional specifications for your restore, including whether you want to restore the files or folders to a different location, replace existing files, restore security settings, or specify other options, click Advanced, and then follow the instructions in the wizard.

7. When the wizard is finished, click Finish.

8. When the message appears that informs you that restoring is complete, click Close

I just kept the data in the WSUSContent folder and when I resynced with the Windows Update server it picked up all of the old updates that I had stored already and just downloaded the new ones. Thanks for the alternate solution though, I'll have to try that next time, it seems like it would save me some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom