A rare Impass!! Solved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ste

Do not Stare at my Avatar
Toshiba Satellite A205-S5825
Vista Home Premium 32 Bit SP1

I have a customer ask for program to use so he can rip home movies to his computer, so I said sure, w/e, I gave him DVD shrink.

He then tells me his DVD Drive no longer works, so I look and see that SOMEHOW the Driver for his optical drive is missing or currupt, or so device manager says.

No Biggy, so I goto the Manufacturer site for his laptop and go to downloads and look for the DVD/CD rom Driver.

No driver, just software for it, so ok, no problemm, I have him give me the disks for the Laptop, I copy the contents of that disk to a folder on another harddrive so I can simply connect by USB, and that works, and I look through the setup, and guess what, No Optical drive Driver, just software for it.

So I then Try Uninstalling the optical drive through device manager and see if windows upon restart could find the driver for it and install, well, as usuall, it could not find and install the driver, so I then Try the Update driver button in device manager and it still won't find the driver...

How irritating that the Manufacturer in two spots would not have the Driver for it...
Unless Im blind?
Toshiba Support - Content List

Unless that Firmware option is the driver and Im just retarded with the fact that Toshiba believes driver and firmware are the same thing?

Well at any rate Ill try that option and if it doesn't work Ill just format and reinstall, unless anyone has any other ideas?

Edit: Tried that firmware option, says driver not found, drive not supported, Dumb...... Dumb Dumb thing...

Re: A rare Impass!!

Ste,

That is strange. Since Vista can not detect it anyway you could lead the Wizard to the System32\driver folder to see if it can force install the drivers?

Cheers,
Mak

Well Ill try that, but Ill provide a little more information first..

Device manager States. " Windows Cannot Load the device Driver for this Hardware, the Driver may be currupt or missing. Code 39

So Under the driver tab>Driver Details it lists three Files, which to me seems odd, Id think there would be one file...
C:\windows\System32\DRIVERS\Cdrom.sys
C:\windows\System32\Drivers\GEARaspiWDW.sys
C:\windows\system32\Drivers\pxhelp20.sys

So when I click Update drivers, it says that the drivers are uptodate..

Could I try deleting them, restarting, and then see if I can update them, or have windows find them?

Ste,

You could try that as well. But i would back them up first just in case. ;)

Cheers,
Mak

Well, I believe I have found a solution.

Google has saved the Day once Again..

The CD drive or the DVD drive does not work as expected on a computer that you upgraded to Windows Vista

"
You upgrade a computer to Windows Vista or install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 or you install or uninstall applications that have a CD/DVD filter driver. When you restart the computer, the CD drive or DVD drive no longer works as expected.

Back to the top
CAUSE
This problem may occur if one of the following scenarios is true:• The filter drivers in the CD and the DVD storage stack are not migrated successfully to Windows Vista.
• You uninstalled CD software that fails to properly remove itself in the registry.
• You installed software that adds filter drivers in the CD and the DVD storage stack that interfere with existing filters.

Back to the top
RESOLUTION
Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

To resolve this problem, remove the affected filter drivers. To do this, follow these steps:1. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
2. Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Caution There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before modifying the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default data value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class data value is CDROM.
3. In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.
4. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.
5. In the right pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.
6. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.
7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
"

So after reading and doing what it said, I restarted and windows installed the proper driver and the Drive is back..

So Ill close this as Solved, thanks for your help..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom