Random shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

JQG

Solid State Member
Ok, my friend's comp shuts down the second he switches his comp on. After a few times, it gets through the POST and a few times it doesn't, it just shuts down!
After about 30 minutes off sodding about switching it on, it warms up and runs ok. We've tried to fathom this out ourselves to no avail, we've asked pro's and had no joy, anyone got any ideas?

It's an ASUS AMD mobo (sorry, I'm not sure of the spec right now)which had an Athlon xp 2000+ chip, but now uses a 1600 Duron and the same problem occurs. We've tested the psu, the cpu and cooling fan speed, the mobo is relatively new, although it's been happening since he installed it, but the install was fresh with all the hardware, when it's running, it runs perfectly, yet there is still this random shutdown.
There's no hardware conflicts, he's running xp home and everything works perfectly, except when it randomly shuts down!

do you have a cpu fan? is it working? is your cpu overheating? those may be a few things that would make it shut down randomly at times, my computer will startup then shutback down automatically if the fan doesnt work or isn't recieving power. I've also been told that it could be a faulty power supply but never had it happen to me personally.

Make sure all Windows Updates are up to date...And check for viruses with whatever virus pro he has. The CPU overheating could be the reason aswell...But just make sure both the Windows Updates and virus definitions are up to date.

Since it is not even going to the post some of the times, i dont think its a case with windows or viruses. Check for the overheating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom