Random Locks Opengl??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keider

Solid State Member
Hi again, some of you might remember me posting a couple of problems regarding crashes in games etc a while back. Well I'm back and so are the crashes. This time though they are strange ones. Alot of games i play at the moment lock up on me, it just stops responding, no error messages no crash to desktop and no automatic reboot. It just freezes, It also seems to be completely random.
Ive been puzzling over this for a number of weeks now and last night I came to the conclusion that it could be something to do with opengl. I play Day of Defeat alot on the old HL engine, and it runs best as everyone knows in opengl so thats what i mainly play it in. But of course it locks up. So i switched to D3d and no such problems occur except it runs like an absolute dog. Another game that has been locking up is Hidden and Dangerous 2. This uses the LS3D engine and i have no idea if that uses opengl or not.
Games that i havnt been having problems with are Ground Control and at the moment UT2003 i dont think these 2 use opengl but i could be wrong.
I dont know if opengl is the problem its just a theory i have. Basically im stuck and have been struggling with this for weeks now. I just wondered what you guys thought because its really ruining my gaming.

My specs:
Athlon XP 2000+
ATI Radeon 9600 PRO
768MB DDR RAM (branded)
K7S5A mobo
C-Media 97 onboard sound
30GB Maxtor HD
XP Pro

I have the latest drivers for everything and ive tried older drivers. My CPU temp never rises much more over 50*C which isnt exactly cool but it shouldnt be a problem. Ive done fresh installs about 3 times in the last 4 months but the same problem is still here.
Basically im completely baffled as to what it could be any help and ideas would be very much appriciated.

Cheers Kei

Yes ive been told numerous times that it isnt the best of mobos. But quite simply i havnt got the cash at the moment to upgrade. So for the moment im stuck with it. What i cant understand however is why games like Ground Control, UT2003 and when in Direct 3D Day of Defeat run quite happily (although DoD's abit choppy in D3D).
Yes i have tried disabling the on board sound to no effect.
And my PSU size is 300W.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom