Random "file corrupt" error message

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohGrFreak

ID.10T
I get a random file corrupt error message when accessing folders with large files, or many small files inside (ie: video files or image files), not neccesarily the same folder every time, and not neccisarily the same folder all the time either.

Once this error window pops up and I click OK, windows explorer closes and restarts.

Thing is, one minute, the message pops up, and the next time I access the folder, the files are fine and the message is gone.

Is my harddrive failing? It's been a few years since it's been replaced, and it's a 24/7 on machine.

powermax is a harddrive utility from maxtor.

If you're doing virus scans daily you may well have worn the hard drive out, check its smart status, run a chkdsk /r, and defrag with o&o

MrCoffee said:
powermax is a harddrive utility from maxtor.

If you're doing virus scans daily you may well have worn the hard drive out, check its smart status, run a chkdsk /r, and defrag with o&o

Nahhhh....
scanning for viruses won't wear the hard drive out.

I did the checkdisk this morning and I had to leave it running because it was taking over two hours and I had to leave for work, I was hoping for a log file or message when I came home but no, it just booted up like normal.

So I'll try to get a hold of powermax and o&o somehow and try those out.

IF the error only accurs some of the time, not all the time. that would make me feel more secure about the HDD... but worse about maybe your Ram or CPU. Windows system problems themself is probably also a possibility since Windows seem i guess could give you any # of issues only related to Windows software issues. If its a realy old Clogged up windows install, A clean Reformat/reinstall may be in need soon.

For CPU and Ram use theses:

run Prime95's Torture Test and it will tell you if your CPU or posisbly Ram give any ERRORs.
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

Memtest will strait up test your Ram, just Boot from the "pre-compiled package for floppy" or ISO if you dont have a floppy but have a CD burner.
http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Reading the last two posts makes me seem like it's the memory. I'd hate to replace my OCZ copper sticks :(

Just last week I did a full format with a fresh install of XP Home, the Western Digital harddrive was RMA'd around one year ago and I got a new one. The CPU was part of a recent upgrade I performed around the begining of the year. The memory is the only thing besides the case that has actually never been replaced at some point in time since I first built the rig.

But alas, more testing to do, I thank you guys for all your help in this issue, and your paitience is well appreciated. I work all the time and even weekends so I barely get the chance to work on the computer on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom