RAM problems during/after windows startup - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 04-20-2006, 02:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Post RAM problems during/after windows startup

almost every time i boot my notebook after it's been shut down, my desktop and/or taskbar stop responding when i start an application (before it finishes starting up all the services/tasks). most times first i connect to the internet, then start outlook or IE, and as said before, almost every time i do that, the RAM starts lagging heavily..

sometimes it doesn't recover at all, and i have to reboot by pressing the power button (>asks me what to do > restart) - CTRL-ALT-DEL just stresses the CPU and/or RAM more and the taskbar doesn't show up - which works most times, and sometimes even this doesn't work and i have to shut it down with the power button or restart with the reset button on the battery.
if i don't do anything, the CPU and RAM "stop" working and i only can move the mouse (clicking has no effect anywhere), and after a while, they suddenly start working again and complete all the tasks run while being freezed, ie outlook and IE open, start menu appears if i clicked it, any right-click menues appear if i right-clicked somewhere during the freeze, the taskbar if i pressed CTRL-ALT-DEL etc. - and all that in a few seconds, as it should have been done normally without that freezeperiod.

i reinstalled my OS (win xp pro) some weeks ago because i built in a new HD and really set up everything with attention not to install any trash and only letting the most important services/tasks be run on startup (7 icons in the taskbar after startup before running anything by myself, and none of them uses much CPU or RAM - LAN and WLAN status, volume icon, nokia pc suite - which cannot be prevented from being run at startup, norton antivirus auto-protect and norton ghost [both from norton system works 2005 premier - ghost on nsw2005 cannot be removed from the taskbar either).

after those problems during startup everything works fine.

my specs:
HP compaq nx9030
512 (every sysinfo like dxdiag says 479) MB RAM (2x256) - not sure what other specs
intel centrino/pentium M 1.7 (1.695) GHz
(genuine) winXP pro SP2 with all updates
80GB HD (toshiba MK8025GAS), 2 partitions (C: 19,5GB/6,7GB free, E: 54,9GB/43,7 free)
pagefiles: initial 960MB, max 1440MB on C:, system managed on E (i just set that system managed up - before i had the same problems)

i'm really sure that there's absolutely no trash on my notebook which could cause those problems during startup.

could it just be a problem of my 2x256 RAM? i'm just considering putting in 2 kingston 512 MB DDR2 PC-533 (PC2-4200) instead.
btw could those new 533MHz 1024MB RAM improve my integrated Intel(R) 82852/82855 GM/GME 64MB gfx (i know, it sucks heavily )?

Closed Thread