RAID in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABAC_Tech

Beta member
I have a MPC\Gateway 4620D desktop PC. I'm trying to setup a mirrored RAID on two identical SATA 80G HDD's. I was able to set the RAID up fine. I then ghosted an XP image to the machine and restarted. Now the PC will boot up just to the Windows XP splash screen then restart. I can go into BIOS and change the drive configuration from RAID to IDE Enhanced and the computer will boot up fine. I created a word document and placed in on the desktop but it won't show up on the other drive. I would like to be able to leave the drive configured to RAID if I could.......any ideas?

You wont be able to use a Ghost Image. IF you did not have XP installed to RAID when you ghosted then you will not be able to put that image on a RAID.

It was setup specifically with certain drive locations setup for a single drive setup. Since RAID shares this information over 2 Hard Drives there is no way to use a Ghost Image from a non RAID install on a RAID setup.

You will have to fresh install.

You can slipstream the Raid driver to the XP CD with nlite. If you dont wish to do that when you get to the first steps of Windows starting to load files you will see it hang on the option that reads:

Hit F6 to load 3rd Party Drivers

That is when you will hit F6 to load the RAID Drivers for your system. They will have to be stored on a floppy or USB Thumb Drive. I dont think it will be successful if you try a CD.

They should be available at your PC Manufacturer's website.

Well thanks for your help but i don't think it will be possible for me to mirror a drive on this system in XP. The mirrored drive isn't supposed to show up but it does every time. I can't leave the drive configured for RAID or else I get a blue screen. I can't go on to the manufactuer's website because as we all know MPC is bankrupt so their site sucks even worse now. It's not important. Thanks for your help though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom