RAID after WS 2003 install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

S0ULphIRE

Golden Master
Hey, I've just installed Windows Small Business Server 2003 (premium), now I need to get a mirrored RAID setup. I've got a second identical drive already sitting in the pc.

Is there a way to do this without reinstalling 2003 and doing the whole 'press f6' thing? I know I should've done it that way, but I couldn't find the drivers so I decided to just go for a standard install. Finished it, installed EVERYTHING else I needed...then I found the drivers...

So, is there a way to do this?

Yeah, unfortunately that requires me to reinstall the os, something I REALLY don't want to do. It took me more than just a few hours to install all the software on it...sigh. Looks like what I might have to do though.

As far as i know there is no other way. Since RAID puts the information on both drives at the same time and reads from both drives. Having the install on just a single drive defeats the purpose.

Even though you are trying to do a Mirrored RAID i dont think that there is any other way. Since that is something that is done from the install on. I know i am just preaching to the quire about what RAID is and does, i just thought that i would mention it.

Is it possible to extract an image of the current install, format the drives, set up RAID, and dump the image on top?

Just trying to think constructively to help out...

Still wont work. The Image will still see the install as a single drive install. Not as a RAID setup.

Yeah I was going to try that, but then I just lost it and thought what teh flagnog I'll just start over again. SIGH. Which worked...
btw, for future reference, if you ever setup an intel Server board, make SURE you boot off the little blue cd that comes with it :)
cheers guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom