Raid-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

morrty

Baseband Member
Hi, just a few questions about Raid-1 setup.

I was mainly going to use this setup for data backup. Im using windows XP home.

Can I use two unidentical drives for this setup?

When I implement this setup with the second drive automatically copy everything that was on the old hard drive or do I need to do this setup from two formatted drives?

I'm no master to the raid scene but I don't think that both drives need to be formatted. But I would do a good backup just in case.

Yes you can use identical drives. But as mentioned you can not jsut transfer you isntall to a RAID config. It wont just auto copy it. you will have to format and install Windows onto the RAID Array. If not then Windows wont be on the raid jsut on the single drive. Defeats the purpose.

Remember, RAID is not a backup. You will be better off sticking the second drive in a external and doing regular backups.

I was doing some more research on the raid configuration. I think you guys are talking about RAID-0 which I know is not a data backup but RAID-1 is a mirror of the drive and can be syncronized if one drive fails.

I also looked into the identical drive question I ask earlier and you can use two drives that are not identical but the larger drive will be the size of the smaller one and it also depends on the RAID controller your using.

RAID-1 is setup when you need fault tolerance and is a mirror of the the other drive. Therefore it is like a data backup in the sense that if one drive fails you still have the second drive fully functional and ready to take over the job.

When I asked these questions I was at work and unable to check due to time but I just wanted to share this now that I've looked it up myself.

Thanks for the help guys.
-morrty

I was doing some more research on the raid configuration. I think you guys are talking about RAID-0 which I know is not a data backup but RAID-1 is a mirror of the drive and can be syncronized if one drive fails.

I also looked into the identical drive question I ask earlier and you can use two drives that are not identical but the larger drive will be the size of the smaller one and it also depends on the RAID controller your using.

RAID-1 is setup when you need fault tolerance and is a mirror of the the other drive. Therefore it is like a data backup in the sense that if one drive fails you still have the second drive fully functional and ready to take over the job.

When I asked these questions I was at work and unable to check due to time but I just wanted to share this now that I've looked it up myself.

-morrty

it isn't going to work like you think when the first drive fail, and it going to fail

I thought that was Raid 5 that had the Mirroring? Where you can get it to have the fault tolerance where if one drive fails the other takes over.

Honestly this is only good in a Server setup. For personal use. RAID is not worth it.

I thought that was Raid 5 that had the Mirroring? Where you can get it to have the fault tolerance where if one drive fails the other takes over.

Honestly this is only good in a Server setup. For personal use. RAID is not worth it.

raid 5 is a safer span than raid 0. you take 6 drive and it shows as one. you're right raid isn't worth it especially with ide drives

-morrty

Yes, you get redundancy but what if you get a virus that eats away at your files/embeds itself in everything? What if there is a powersurge that blows both your drives? Ok, extreme examples but having RAID is not a guarantee. I was going to have a RAID0+1 setup but decided against it to have a external backup.

Also I found RAID0 has given me a slight performance increase with a 16k strip size. :p

Eric RAID5 can be on 3 or more drives. 6 allows for RAID50. ^_^.

Good link for different types of RAID: RAID level 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom