RAID 0 on Server 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
and if those drivers don't work, they'll have updated drivers on the website

i run raid 0 on windows server 2008, and startup is pretty amazing

i doubt my hard drives are going to fail in a while....i have a maxtor drive all the way back from 2003 and it still works 100% (tis an old 120GB 7200rpm IDE drive) and another 200GB SATA HDD from maxtor, and both work really well....so failure doesnt worry me too much, im more concerned about accidental loss of parity on the part of my motherboard....its not that good you see :p

i doubt my hard drives are going to fail in a while....

You cannot assume that, never assume that. If you have data you really want kept safe that is.

EDIT: I got thinking about this some more, and I just want to say, if you want speed with no expectations of fault tolerance (meaning the ability to recover from disaster) then RAID 0 is fine. It is the fastest form of RAID.

RAID 1 is mirroring, but much slower. It gives fault tolerance but slows the CPU down immensely when writing to disk as it is writing to 2 disks.

You do realize that if one goes down then both are down with RAID 0 ?

oldskool is right - never assume.

I have a pair of 20gb hard drives in an 11 year old Gateway desktop that has been running 24/7/365 ever since it was purchased.

I also had a WD 250gb drive that failed within 10 minutes of being powered on.

Hard drive life span is something you cannot predict in any way shape or form.

Points taken, i shall be vigilant and keep backups then. Im not overly fussed if my game files are overwritten though :p unless my level 99 diablo 2 character gets deleted...then i'll get mad :p

I doubt i will be mirroring though, i just dont have any need, and tbh CPU overhead isnt really a problem with a core 2 quad i must say :p

and when you say they both go down, do u mean both break if one does, or just the one that didnt break loses all data(which i already knew)?

With RAID 0, there is a process called "striping". That means that data is written across two disks.

With RAID 5 for example, you need at least 3 disks, two for striping data and one for parity checking the data on the other two drives.

So with RAID 0, if the data is lost on one, or it crashes, you can't get it back from the other since it is used in tandem with the one that crashed.

With RAID 1 (mirroring) at least you would have an exact duplicate on the second disk, except the writing to disk is much slower in relation to RAID 0.

aye, I plan to stripe my HDDs cos im really just in it for speed at the moment, i wont need speed to view a video file on my soon-to-be-gotten 750GB HDD, but i will for loading up server 2008 since i dont relish the idea of waiting for over a minute for it to all boot up, load up games etc, im a man of action!

I rather enjoy RAID 0, just be sure to perform regular backups if you can... I keep forgetting to do backups using ghost sometimes, I really dislike scheduled backups as they tend to do it when I want to do something else...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom