Quick Question About OS

Guido

Beta member
Hey everyone!

I was wondering here, my computer has windows 7 ultimate installed on it, but can I format it with my windows 7 professional CD and install pro along?
Also can I do the same if my OS is Home Premium? I don't want to try it myself yet though, maybe I'll mess something up.

Thanks!

You need the key that corresponds to the version that you have.

So if you have a Home Premium key, you can only install Home Premium. If you have an Ultimate key, you can only install Ultimate, etc., etc.

well i have ultimate installed, but I'll format it using pro disk, I also have pro key. Same with home basic, i would format using pro disk and then clean install pro.

Not quite sure what you're asking I guess... Are you asking if you can just reformat your system and install a different version of Windows?

I'm curious why you would want to reformat Win 7 Ult using Win 7 Pro? Are you having an issue that requires you to format the drive but you don't have the Win 7 Ult disk?

Win 7 Ult includes everything that Win 7 Pro includes plus other features so I don't see the point in going from one to the other.

You can - you won't be able to do this in the OS because Windows won't allow you to downgrade the OS. You'll have to boot to the Pro CD, format and install from there.

I have to agree with others though - not sure why you would downgrade unless your Ultimate was having issues and you didn't have the installation media.

Back
Top Bottom