quick question about formatting - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 05:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default quick question about formatting

I got a laptop that I got for free when I signed up for a security thing. The company went out of business so i got to keep the laptop. There is alot of junk on it and I want to get rid of everything. It came with 3 cds, on thast says 2-1 recovery cd, 2-2 recovery cd, system cd. I know when you format you need the windows xp cd, is that the system cd? I want to make sure before i do it. I also made a boot disk, would that do anything just incase something goes wrong?

Old 07-22-2007, 09:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: quick question about formatting

If you format the boot disk does not help. it saves the MBR for the most part. If the disks are actually windows install disks then you're fine, if they are some other thing, then no. Put them in the drive, boot to them and see if it is the normal windows disk or something that is recovery for the computer.

If its the computers recover disk, then it will most likely put all the junk back on.

If it is a windows disk you can use a format utility like Boot and nuke, (or windows does it but I like to really destroy data), then reinstall windows.

Also the other thing you can do is find a friend who has the windows xp disk, or download it, and use the key that is on the key tag on the laptop so that you know you are using a legal key. It will probably be an OEM key, but that shouldn't make a difference.

-------------------------------
AMD Athlon 64 3400+
Powered by: Antec Earth Watts
Old 07-23-2007, 02:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ok thanks, THey are recovery discs not windows discs.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

try and find a friend who has the disk, or download the ISO. then use the key that is located on the windows key tag is your best choice then.
AMD Athlon 64 3400+