Quick question about default browsers

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelm3103

Fully Optimized
Is there anyway to set the default browser to Firefox but keep Internet Explorer default for only *opening email?

(*Opening email from WLM to be specific, since it signs you on automatic...rather than Firefox where you still have to enter your US/PW)

Sure is. But it is going to be a tricky thing. First you go into the Default Programs and set Firefox as the default for everything you want. At the same time set IE as the Default Email program. You then go into Firefox and make sure that under it preferences (Options>Applications) you DONT have Firefox setup as the Email program. After that every time you click a email it should open IE.

*Note* it isnt just for Opening email as Windows is not that specific. It has to be all email or none at all. So if you still want to use Firefox to send but just IE to read, then no what you want isnt possible.

Well I just want IE for anything dealing with email since I only use hotmail/live mail. Imma try the trick you mentioned, seems it would work. Thanks for the reply, I'll repost or just edit this and tell you how it works :).

Edit: Small problem, I got as far as setting Firefox as default program, but when it comes to setting IE as default email...it doesn't have the option. I checked the taskbar settings for it and it only points to Windows Live Mail, Outlook and Windows Mail. Checked the application settings on Firefox and it's set to Outlook (if that's the correct one).

firefox%20defaults.jpg

IE%20defaults.jpg

taskbar%20settins.jpg

firefox%20settins.jpg

Now i know why. IE cant be used as your default email client. It is a browser and Default Applications can only be used for such things. The system doesnt know that you use webmail nor does it know the website your trying to use. You cant set it up to open specifically just that website to use your email. As it would just open IE and its default page.

You will have to force it by specifically selecting the file type in the "Associate a file type or protocol with a program". You wont be able to use any built in settings within IE or Firefox cause they dont understand that you want to use the browser. Like stated above, they dont recognize the browser as a accepted program. You will have to find the .eml extension and force it to associate with IE.

So really there is no way to specifically tie the emails to a browser. You can force it, but that doesnt guarantee that when you click a email link that it will open IE. It may just seem like it is working then do nothing. Cause the file association is forced to a program it doesnt recognize to be proper for that type of file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom