Questions: Windows 64-bit OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only downside i see from a 64 bit OS is you can't upgrade, it will have to be a fresh install. Some hardware manf. haven't gotten on the bandwagen yet and made drivers compatable with 64 bit, so that is a downside as well. This isn't an OS issue, this is the manf. problem Before going to 64 bit just ensure all of your hardware is compatable.

64 bit is the future, just like 32 bit was over 16 bit. The most talked about advantage is more RAM, while this is true it isn't the only positive. With 32 bit you can only have 3.5 gig ram, with 64 bit you get a lot more. Apples to apples a 64 bit OS and program will run twice as fast as a 32 bit OS and program.

Please explain how that is rubbish? 64 bit is about the width of the bus and how much data can travel accross it. If you have 64 bit hardware, a 64 bit os, and a program that uses the 64 bit environment you'll be able to move data accross that environment twice as fast as one that is 32 bit. ONly 32 bits of data can move from point A to point B, if you have a 64 bit system (again everything has to take advantage of the 64 bit environement) you'll be able to move data accross that environment twice as fast.

What, that's complete rubbish :confused:

It may not technically run at exactly twice as fast during actual usage, but with memory access of up to ~64GB as apposed to ~4GB, and just with the larger address size associated with 64bit OS and programs, it will definitely run faster than the same program in 32bit form. Theoretically it will run twice as fast (assuming no bottlenecks).

I don't have enough technical knowledge to really explain my rather originally brash point, but I do want to point you to this article, which explains it much better than I ever could.

The writer of that article seems to only be talking about the "average" PC sold for $400 or less, that just runs internet and Word type programs. The types of PCs with 1-2GB of RAM and really only need a 32bit OS. Clearly 64bit won't benefit those PCs. While I guess even theoretical performance might not be a full 2x larger, if you really have a PC built for 64-bit (that means 4GB+ RAM, 64bit CPU[duh], and 64bit OS) you will likely see much better performance running the same application in it's 64bit form rather than using the 32bit app on a 32bit OS with 3.5GB RAM or less.

I don't have enough technical knowledge to really explain my rather originally brash point, but I do want to point you to this article, which explains it much better than I ever could.

Yes and i could sit here and give you examples of programs and gaves that run faster on 64 Bit. CS4 is one of them. With the right CPU and RAM combo with 64 Bit you can run anything faster, IF it is coded for 64 Bit.

Crysis is a 32 Bit game which was poorly coded to 64 Bit. Not the OS fault.

Adobe didnt create 64 Bit till CS4. Again not 64 Bit fault.

64 Bit has 2x the amount of channels and memory allocation. Which means that things like WinRar which are SMP and 64 Bit will run much faster on 64 Bit platform than 32 Bit cause not only will it utilize the multiple cores but also the extra channels and memory allocation.

To base 64 Bit not being as fast on things that are not truly coded for 64 Bit is only going to hurt you. True 64 Bit software will be faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom