Question regarding formating a hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

apostate

Solid State Member
Well guys I have a problem and was wondering if any kind soul can offer advice.

I am convinced that the files I had on my hard drive were corrupt, so I decided to re-install windows. After I deleted the files through the windows installation process from boot from CD, it didnt seem to want to do anything else.

Now, sometimes I start it and the hard drive doesnt even register. When I do get past that stage, the installation process gets so far then I get a big blue screen of death.

Now I want to fdisk the drive through the dos prompt, but how do I get the dos prompt up? I tried booting from floppy, but the machine just resets itself after getting that far. I mean, it will say 'finding floppy' , then say 'ok' but then simply reset. After that nothing happens.

It seems to me like it is as dead as a dodo. You dont think that perhaps the disk is corrupt do you? Any comments would really be appreciated

Sounds like the hard drive is failing. You don't want to use Fdisk as thats an old windows 98 utility.

Enter the recovery console (boot from XP CD and press R when prompted). Use the command "Format" to format the drive and the command "chkdsk /r" to chack for errors (you can use "diskpart" at this point to make partitions but thats up to you).

I suggest you obtain some diagnostic software for the harddrive (or just replace it) the best diagnostic software would be that suppied by the harddrive manufacturer.

I don't suppose you coppied down the STOP code from the blue screens?

HI, thanks for the advise, I really appreciate it.

Unfortunately I didnt write down the error messages, but I recall it speaking of clearing out bios memory cache if that is any help...

Concerning hard drive failure, we have literally had hundreds of powercuts over the last few years, no wonder it is fcuked.

yeah disable that, thats where the BIOS is copied in to RAM for faster execution.

Might be your RAM to blame, run memtest86 to be sure http://www.memtest86.com/

And try resetting your CMOS, i.e. short the "clear CMOS" jumper and/or take out the coin battery for 10 minutes. Take note of your settings first though as they will have reverted to default (especially your Processor settings).

Does your computer keep time well? if not then your BIOS battery may need replacing.

Good suggestions, I will give them a try. Timekeeping is not a problem...

I thought that perhaps the hard drive was completely screwed, so I took a h/d from another machine, formatted and put win2k on it. Everything went ok, but... when I go to reboot it wont load up. This brings me to something I have been thinking...

You dont think that it's overheating issues do you? I replaced the power supply since the old one gave up the ghost, but I replaced it with a lower wattage. I have smelt the odd whiff of burning but just thought perhaps that it was burning from the last supply, still lingering in the air. Maybe the whole **** thing is just getting too bloody hot?

What are your full computer specs? I shouldn't think your comp is overheating unless you're overclocking or have a faulty CPU fan.

Does the Fan in the PSU spin ok? if so then it shouldn't overheat. You might be able to access temperatures and voltage monitoring in your bios, post your CPU temperature and i'll check if its within normal operating parameters for the chip type.

Hi Mr Coffee, thanks for continuing your help,

The fan on the PSU was faulty, I replaced it and it seems to be fine. I checked the tempretures via BIOS, :

CPU fan speed 4821 RPM
System temp 33 c
CPU temp 49 c, going down to 48, back to 49.

It hasnt been overclocked either. What else could it possibly be? I tried another hard drive, but that keeps freezing. Now either I have two hard drives that are both fcuked by coincedence OR something else is causing the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom