question on deleting an unused OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

camosilver311

In Runtime
i have windows xp, ME, and 2000 on my comp, i use xp and would like to get rid of the other 2. how do i completely uninstall and delete ME and 2000, and is there ANY possibility of something going wrong by deleting either OS?

To be honest, the best way is simply to rebuild with the XP cd. BUt you should be able to remove the directory that they reside in. IE, Windows XP goes to c:\windows, Windows 2000 goes to C:\winnt and Windows ME goes to C:\win or something like that. if you delete the folder that contains the OS, it's gone, for the most part. You can look in the boot.ini to see what it says for your boot options.
but the best way, is to reinstall XP and just reformat, as there are files and pointers that are going to be all over if they all live on the same drive.

Good luck

why would i have to delete xp? everything runs fine as is, i just want to get rid of ME and 200 since i never use them anymore. and yes, they are all on the same drive, so that would be a problem?

besides, reinstalling xp is not an option for me, i have WAYYYYYY too many programs and stuff to reinstall, it would take me forever

We need to know how your hard drive is set up before we can do anything.

I do recommend you download a trail of partition magic and deleat your two partitions containing ME and 2000 then append the new free space to your XP partition making one primary partition.

camosilver311 said:
i have windows xp, ME, and 2000 on my comp, i use xp and would like to get rid of the other 2. how do i completely uninstall and delete ME and 2000, and is there ANY possibility of something going wrong by deleting either OS?

yes, there very well could be a problem.

if

you have programs that you use in xp but have installed under the different o/s such as 2000. programs could of wrote files to the windows folder such as .dll and when you delete the folder...there goes the important files.

if this is the case, easiest is just to format and create 2 partitions
1. o/s
2. programs, saved files, etc.

i like doing that incase windows ever get's fubared, i don't have everything on that partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom