Question about Vista OEM Vs. Retail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigma62

Solid State Member
Hi all, I'm going to be building a budget gaming system (my first build :)) in about a month and have been doing loads of research to get ready. I'm going to be going with Vista Ultimate 64 bit as the OS. My question is, would you guys recommend I get the system builders or just spend the extra 100$ and get the retail? Given that OEM can only be installed on one machine and retail being able to be installed on 3 different, is retail worth the extra 100? My thinking was that in 3 or 4 years when I go to Windows 7 if i get retail vista, if I build another machine, I can just get the upgrade version of 7 and save myself money in the long run. I was just curious on your guys thinking of OEM vs. Retail. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

You're correct, Vista OEM can only be installed on the one computer system, but with that system you can change anything at all within it except for the motherboard (change this and its classed as a new system)
However, the Vista Retail can be installed up to 3 times before you have to buy a new licence, obviously not all at once. If you install on another pc the first one must have its OS removed or else a new licence bought.
I prefer the OEM. I reinstall my OS periodically to keep it running smooth (Have done this about 6 times since I got Vista) so OEM is necessary

Correct me if I'm wrong

Already answered.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/differences-between-oem-retail-171393/#post1349335

In the topic that say READ FIRST.

Also it isnt that Retail can be installed on 3 machines. It has the ability to be activated on 3 machines. But according to the EULA and TOS once you activate to a machine that is the machine it is tied to until you remove it completely from that machine. Only then can you even install it on another machine.

So if you do decide to build a new machine once Windows 7 comes out, you wont be able to dual boot with Vista if you still keep Vista on this machine. Cause that would give you 2 machiens with the same Vista serial which is illegal.

Yah I read the stickies I was just curious about your guys preference when it came to buying an OS. Thanks for the help everyone. :)

Could have just asked in that thread instead of creating a new one. ;)

But most people go with OEM cause of the cost. Others still get retail cause they buy from places like Best Buy and that.

Others still go thru school or MSDN. Which is even higher than Retail. You get 10 activations per serial on MSDN stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom