Question about upgrading to Vista 64

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBM/PS1

In Runtime
So i finally recieved my 64bit Vista home upgrade DVD in the mail today. I didn't notice a product key in the package or on the DVD. Am i supposed to use my original Vista 32bit DVD key or do i even need a key in the first place?

Thanks for any help in this matter.

Can't 'upgrade' to 64 bit. You will have to do a clean install of the OS.

If you do not reformat the partition, Vista will put your old windows folder in the windows.old folder so you can still access old files if needed.

Straight from MS

Windows Vista Alternate Media

I had to provide my Cd key to get the upgraded 64bit Media.

Can't 'upgrade' to 64 bit. You will have to do a clean install of the OS.

If you do not reformat the partition, Vista will put your old windows folder in the windows.old folder so you can still access old files if needed.

Yes i know i need to do a clean install. Maybe "upgrade" was a bad word. When i do the fresh install, Will the original product key work for the 64bit version.

I only ask because since i ordered the 64bit alternate media i haven't been able to update at all. I'm assuming They deactivated my old key for some reason.

You'll use your existing CD key. Vista and Windows 7 both will allow you to use your serial for either 32bit or 64bit discs.

Because it is impossible to "upgrade" from 32 Bit to 64 Bit. They use completely different architectures. 32 Bit still allows for 16 Bit software. 64 Bit does not. It can not use anything that doesnt have at least a 32 Bit installer. Not to mention the drivers along with so much other stuff. The only thing that is the same in 32 Bit and 64 Bit is the look. That is it. Under the hood, so to speak, it is completely different.

This info is available in our sticky topic. The 32 Bit vs 64 Bit topic says all of this. ;)

Sorry i guess i'm not being clear enough.

After i ordered the 64bit alternate media i noticed Microsoft had released new updates. I tried to update and i got an error code.

I'm just wondering why this is.

So you have the 64bit installed?

And what error codes are you getting? Can't help you without more details...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom