(Q) Broken up voice Audio sound (WAV file)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Summers

Beta member
Can you help me get my pc to play my voice files again. I'm experiencing VERY broken up audio from WAV files that used to work fine before.

I'm a new square dance caller and I use a D'Music MP3 player/voice recorder to capture the choreography used by experienced square dance callers that I dance to. I upload these WAV files to my PC, play them with WinAmp, type out the choreographic moves into a text editor, and then work my "dancer dolls" (8 wooden checkers representing dancers) through the moves so that I understand the flow. I've been doing this for over a year now.

I may capture the files for several weeks (and load them on my PC) before I find time to listen to them. Recently, it's become impossible to listen to these files because I hear the voice for a few syllables and then it cuts out completely for a few seconds, only to return again for a few more blurted out syllables , etc.

Initially I thought my MP3 player/recorder had "gone", however, WAV files that I had listened to and typed out before are also now garbled. Putting the files back on my MP3 player/recorder provides the sound OK, but I need to listen to it on my PC so I can stop and start it as I type out the moves. I tested an example WAV file on another computer and it works OK.

On my PC, "music" WAV files that I recorded from records seem OK so it's only WAV files from this MP3 player/recorder that seem affected. Winamp, RealPlayer, WindowsMedia all do the same.

I'm guessing that it's some sort of codec problem, but what's common to all three players, and wouldn't affect other "music" wave files.

I'd appreaciate any help you can give or direction to point me in.

Thanks

Bob Summers
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Bob Summers,

Since your old recorded wav files played ,then there should be no problem with the recorded wav files or the recorder or even the windows players. So our problem might be only with the audio codecs or sound driver.

Try reinstalling your sound card drivers and see if the problem persists.

[ EDIT : have a look at this link http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-codecs.html , try enabling/tweaking some codecs in the hardware tab->audio codecs ]

Looking for imaadp32.acm

Thanks for the URL and advice.

I have tons of audio codecs shown in my Sounds Control panel.

Problem 1 is trying to find the one that needs replacing. By disabling some, I found out that WinAmp wants a codec called imaadp32.acm because it complains if I disable it.

I didn't try the other sound apps but maybe they use the same.

Problem 2 is find out where to get this driver from. I'm currently using google to help but no luck so far.

Problem 3 is figuring out how the install the driver if (Ok, I'll be more positve, "when") I find it :)

So far only Problem 1 is solved.

I may not even have Problem 1 solved. Most google searches that I do refer to imaadp32.acm as a Win 98/95 driver (not XP).

I tried to search my XP system installl disk for this file but it's not there. However, it is found in my current XP system in 3 places:
C:\WINDOWS\system32
C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\9ded4ee34a35 ...etc

Still working on it.

Bob Summers,

Just reinstall the sound card drivers, should be available in your motherboard cd or sound card cd. See if it works...

No one ever said this would be easy :)

I tried reinstalling the Audio that came with my Asus mother board (C-media, I think) but no change.

Under the control panel Sounds and Audio Devices, I set ALL Audio Codecs properties to "Do not use" trying to identify which codec is being used again.

Later, via the Device manager -- under Sound, Video and Game controls , I saw two codecs "outside" of the Audio Codecs folder which I disabled also and restarted.

Other players gave error messages, but RealPlayer played the sounds, but still broken.

So what codec does RealPlayer use? And since it still produces broken up sound, is it possibly something other than a Codec?

Oh Boy!!! and thanks...

Fixed

Don't know what I really did, but somehow I managed to delete a file so that the system detected "new" hardware and asked be to install the software for it. I put in one of my system (or motherboard) cd's (I forget which) and magically it all worked.

tx for the help

Bob Summers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom