Proprietery software and hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve40th

Baseband Member
Can someone explain how HP/ Compaq etc etc proprietery software and hardware work? What if I need to replace the MB/Hardrive/Chip etc or Operating system. Cant I just install WXP over the Windows Media Edition if the system crashes? If I am in the wrong section pleas e let me know

the mobo might be a problem, but everything else can be replaced

no CD for media center im assuming

You can get rid of proprietery software by doing your own install of windows from a version that you bought on your own (not the CD that they gave you). The only proprietery hardware ive seen is the motherboard. They do this by making a motherboard that only fits their case. I also know that that in the low end Dell systems there is no agp slot on the motherboard so there is no option to upgrade the video card. You should be able to upgrade the RAM, Harddrive, optical drives but dont look for there to by any extra slots for these things then necessary to run the system as it was shipped.

turn computer on. hit f10 and follow the instuctions. 20 minute later your computer will be in the condition it was in when it was 1st bought. you keep your applications

Well, I was in need of a computer, nothing fancy, and needed a warranty as the wife may be here at home without me to mess with it. So, I bought a HP Pavilion 1250n, and had Comp Usa put a PCI Express ATI x700 256mb card. I needed it quick too as I fried my Alienware, of five years (but upgraded a few times), and I am leaving in 5 days, and live in Hawaii. Rock and a hard place.
Anyways, I knew there were proprietery software, hardware etc, but I asked if I needed later in life to change the hardrive, OS (I have 2 WXP PRO's laying around, ) and CPU and the guy said no because the motherboard/cpu or something has serial numbers/codes or some BS that wouldnt allow me to change anything. I find it hard to believe that I couldnt format the thing and put a new OS, or CPU etc.

you cen restore it if you change just the hard drive. you can always put windows on it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom