Programs won't open after I changed file - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 04-04-2005, 12:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Programs won't open after I changed file

I researched online and discovered that cxtpls.exe is not good to have on file. So I find it on my computer and try deleting it. I tried its uninstall program, but that didn't really get rid of it. I then tried deleting it. Some of the files would delete, but some wouldn't. Seeing that the files that wouldn't delete used internet explorer to open them, I figured I could disable them by making it so they used Notepad to open. Big mistake.
Then, everytime I tried to open ANY program, Notepad would come up with symbols in it.
So I changed the program the Cxtpls files used from Notepad back to Internet Explorer. Now everytime I try to open a program (AIM, Outlook, anything) a download box pops up.
I tried System Restore (had to use Safe Mode because System Restore would just try and 'download' when using it in normal mode), but with no luck.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Thank you.

Old 04-04-2005, 07:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Field Engineer
Send a message via AIM to SHAWN

do a windows repair with the CD

A+, Network + , HP Certified Tech and MCP

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1095T, Asus M477TD, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 1T, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, ATi HD4650, W7, 27" HL272 Monitor
Old 04-04-2005, 08:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via AIM to Ropponmatsu

cxtpls.exe is a trojan. Even if you delete all the files you won't get rid of it unless you find the source file which is normally buried pretty deep in your system folders. Try running some anti-spyware programs and virus scanners and hopefully you can get rid of it. If not then the best you can do is to reformat.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

It's not spyware or CxtPls that I'm worried about. Since I screwed around with trying to delete these files and change the program they use to open, no program will open.
When I click on a program, the File Download box appears and says:

"You are downloading the file: whatever I'm trying to open. example: msimn.exe from C:\Program Files\Outlook Express"
and asks if I'd like to save it to my computer or open it. Neither works.

And if I try to open something built into Windows XP like Add/Remove Programs, the download box comes up saying:

"You are downloading the file: rundll32.exe from C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32"

Is there any way to fix what I've changed or clear it?

Thank you.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

if it were me id back up what i wanted to keep, format, and reinstall windows
Fear is nothing but the anticipation of pain, be it physical, mental, spiritual or emotional.
Athlon XP 2200+ oc\'ed @ 1.93ghz
MSI ms-6738
768mb ddr2100
Nvidia mx420 :(
60gig maxtor 7200rpm
Dual boot with Mandrake 10.0 and Win XP Pro sp2
Closed Thread