Programs Stalling in Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
RealTemp is incompatible with my hardware, and my BIOS does not give temperature readings. What else can I do to check the temperature?

It seems odd that it would be an overheating problem, as it started so suddenly.

Since it's INDIVIDUAL programs, could you prehaps give us some sort of indication as to when this happens. As in any specific things you did before the crash e.t.c.

Also check windows error reporting / post us some screens if you feel it's necessary.
We'll leave formatting apps/os until the end here. But let's go through the motions.

Cheers,

~ Tkey

Which programs? Are you fully up to date with Windows and the software? Some older versions are incompatible with Vista.

Since it's INDIVIDUAL programs, could you prehaps give us some sort of indication as to when this happens. As in any specific things you did before the crash e.t.c.

Also check windows error reporting / post us some screens if you feel it's necessary.
We'll leave formatting apps/os until the end here. But let's go through the motions.

As far as I can tell, nothing specific trigers the problem. Windows marks the program as 'Not Responding' in response to my clicking something in the window, but I frequently switch to a window and find it stuck.

How can I check Windows error reporting?

Which programs? Are you fully up to date with Windows and the software? Some older versions are incompatible with Vista.

Yes, my Vista is set to update automatically and does so regularly. Specifically the programs that have been freezing include the lastest versions of Firefox, iTunes and Open Office Writer, all of which have been recently updated. Ultimately anything I run stalls in this way. Perhaps I should have mentioned that sometimes the desktop or Windows itself freezes or stalls, but he main problem is induvidual programs.

Have you run MemTest86? Have you run a stress test on teh CPU? What processes do you have running? What software do you haev loading upon boot? Have you done a in depth spyware/malware/virus removal?

Have you ever noticed the process "explorer.exe" stop responding?

(Due to the crashing of his desktop / windows itself)
I'm thinking we prehaps get him to run a repair guys?

Cheers,

~ Tkey

Vista doesn't have a repair option, Tkey. It only has an option to format/reinstall.

;)
Just throwing in the option to run Vista's mem test options in the repair utility.
Just to clarify along with Mak's suggestion.

Cheers,

~ Tkey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom