Programs Not Responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

josuem

Baseband Member
problem: when I click on a program, the program either does not come up or may come up to the program's main window, but will not execute any additional options from the window (e.g. norton systemworks) However, I can get task manager up which shows that the programs that were clicked are in the "processes" list but not in the "applications" list and if i do not end process via task manager (to include task manager) the process remains. When I try to reboot or shut down the system, the programs/applications that I tried to start briefly flash up on the screen before the system turns off. I was able to run a full system scan via norton, but found no viruses. I cannot even get on the internet because the browser will not appear and therefore, i am sending this via my son's computer.
operating system is xp pro, 512 ram, a p4 2.4ghz processor, newly updated via win update. Nothing found on SB S&D

josuem said:
problem: when I click on a program, the program either does not come up or may come up to the program's main window, but will not execute any additional options from the window (e.g. norton systemworks) However, I can get task manager up which shows that the programs that were clicked are in the "processes" list but not in the "applications" list and if i do not end process via task manager (to include task manager) the process remains. When I try to reboot or shut down the system, the programs/applications that I tried to start briefly flash up on the screen before the system turns off. I was able to run a full system scan via norton, but found no viruses. I cannot even get on the internet because the browser will not appear and therefore, i am sending this via my son's computer.
operating system is xp pro, 512 ram, a p4 2.4ghz processor, newly updated via win update. Nothing found on SB S&D

Have you run system maintenance? Such as system defragmentation?

no, but we had a freind help us via remote asisstance, and of course, none of the syptoms showed up. So, for now anyway, its fixed.Hopefully it was just one of xp's many little quirks that pop up, wreak their havoc, then disappear when an IT pro comes by. Gotta love msoft

josuem said:
no, but we had a freind help us via remote asisstance, and of course, none of the syptoms showed up. So, for now anyway, its fixed.Hopefully it was just one of xp's many little quirks that pop up, wreak their havoc, then disappear when an IT pro comes by. Gotta love msoft

Well just make sure you have Windows XP SP1 installed.. There are too many security holes in windows XP, amongst other problems.

I think i know what your problem is, when u bring up task manager, go to processes and look for something running called timershot.exe. If you have that, you are ****ed. I had it and i had to reformat. the problem is it is so new, that antivirus programs don't recognize it, and it's written in ur registry. If you try to end the process, it will start up again next time you try and start a program.

b_young86 said:
I think i know what your problem is, when u bring up task manager, go to processes and look for something running called timershot.exe. If you have that, you are ****ed. I had it and i had to reformat. the problem is it is so new, that antivirus programs don't recognize it, and it's written in ur registry. If you try to end the process, it will start up again next time you try and start a program.

Timershot.exe is also used to create HTML slide shows with a certain program.... The only way he will be able to tell if that is a legit application or a virus is by running a scan.

It can also be a program that lets you take pictures at specified time intervals from a Webcam connected to your computer and save them to a location that you designate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom