Programs always close slow, hangs for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mack

In Runtime
I'm a programmer, so I always leave my PC on 24/7. I run Windows Vista ultimate, so far it's been running for 24 days straight..

I noticed, even on a fresh boot. When I leave Visual Studio, Photoshop, SQL Server management, or any program open for say about an hour but I don't use them, and I go to them it takes forever for the interface to load. I imagine Vista is releasing the memory since it's not being used, but it's really killing performance. I don't run a virus scanner, because I don't download viruses (hehe).. but I've never had a virus or spyware in my entire life, and I know it's not that.

Next thing is, whenever I try to close those programs it takes FOREVER. Visual Studio '08 takes at least 5-10 minutes to close.. yes to CLOSE!! That's freakin insane.

I have a 10K RPM HDD, and 2GB PC 3200 Dual Channel ram. I know 2GB isn't much these days, but I'm poor at the moment.

What is Vista doing that is causing this? Oh yea, it also did this on XP x64 and x86. What do I need to configure to prevent this. Yes, I play games. But I don't play them but once every 4 months (no more time!) and I don't have any issues when I do play them.

So what are some things I can do to improve Vista that doesn't involve spending money? I got a few programming jobs coming up that will roll some dough in, and I will upgrade to 4GB or 8GB ram if my motherboard lets me (A8N32) but for now what can I do to prevent this?

I know I can close the programs.. but I loose my trade of thought when I come back :p

All my Vista quirks disappeared when I reinstalled Vista using a copy with SP1 slipstreamed into it. I've had no luck with Vista SP1 update.

I find it hard to believe that you have never had spyware. Even the most secure computer is vulnerable to spyware if you access the internet. You may just want to do a scan or two with a popular spyware detection program.

Also wouldn't hurt to turn off or restart your computer everyday. Other people might have conflicting views but I believe that your computer should be restarted or turned off everyday

Other than that the only thing you can do is hardware upgrades to improve performance of your computer.

I scan my computer twice a week, I run Windows Defender in the BG (if it even works). I defrag with AusLogics defrag & Ultra Defrag once a week (it takes under 2 minutes to defrag both my harddrives lol)

And yes I have SP1. What's funny is after I close the programs, I do not have any issues and my system runs fast. I did lose performance from XP, but my 4400+ is slow now days I guess.

It's seems I have a bad configuration somewhere within Vista...

The issue is that by leaving the applications open you freeze the resouces for them along with the super fetch. Super Fetch will only work if you close the app when you are done with it. Not leave it sitting in your taskbar for hours on end not using it.

Also you are right. 2GB for Vista Ultimate isnt much. I run 3GB with my old P4 and i still take a hit on performance. So for sure i would look at upgrading that along with closing the apps when you are done with them so that super fetch can do its job right.

How do you have your pagefile set up?

I never messed with it.

It's on system managed:
Min: 16MB
Recommended: 3069MB
Allocated: 2346MB

Anyone use ReadyBoost, does it improve performance?

What about Microsoft's new filesystem, WinFS.. where's that at?!?!?

ReadyBoost is not for a system that has more than 1GB of RAM. Plus to accurately use ReadyBoost you need to doulbe your current RAM on a ReadyBoost enabled device.

As for WinFS. That was killed during Vista's Beta stages. That wont even be ready for Windows 7. That is for the OS after that. Windows 8. That happened well over 3 years ago now.

I never messed with it.

It's on system managed:
Min: 16MB
Recommended: 3069MB
Allocated: 2346MB

"Allocated: 2346MB" tells me that Windows is using more memory than what physical memory you have. Upgrade when you can afford it.

Try setting your pagefile to Min: 2048mb Max: 2048mb on your 10k drive only.

With all the programs you are running, Windows spends much of its time dumping data to and from the pagefile. Disk thrashing will stop when close programs you are not using at the moment.

Since you leave your system on 24/7, you might benefit from using a memory defragmenter program.

Thanks. I'm not up to date on the WinFS, but now I am awesome ;)

I will upgrade my memory. I have to get my stupid motherboard to update the BIOS because the BIOS version I have doesn't recognize more then 3GB ram *sigh*. I think this will be my last ASUS board. I'll get it to update though.

I remember AnalogX 'MaxMem'. It frees memory that isn't in use but wasn't released properly.

I have Windows 2008 Server, page is set to default and it has 2GB of ram I believe.

What should I set the page file to? It runs web, sql, ftp, dns, and thats it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom