Program Working in 2k with VM but not on the physical computer with 2k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

i3ond

Solid State Member
I am trying to get a windows 95/98 program to run on windows 2000. The program is called omega 6.0 and it uses a printer port dongle and it has a machine connected to it via the serial port. So what I did was use the Microsoft Virtual machine to run windows 2000 on my windows xp machine. I then installed omega and started the program and it said dongle not found. Which was odd because the dongle was plugged in and I know it works through windows 98 on VM. So to fix the dongle not found I used a dongle emulator and then I could get into the program. Except the program said the machine wasn't connected to the serial port. Except It was. I tryed every option in VM to make sure the serial port was open, but still no luck.

So I decided VM must be somehow limited with the serial port so I formatted my windows xp and made a 29gb partition formatting fat32 and installed windows 2k. Then I started it up and installed omega and ran the dongle emulator and now it says error 2004 omega.mdb can't be accessed. This is the same error i have when I install on xp or newer and try to run compatibility modes. But why does it work on 2k in VM and not on the physical computer?

I have all the drivers for 2k in my computer.
My computer is a intel 2 core duo 6400
130gb sata 1 HD
Nvidia 7900 gs pcie 1
sata plextor dvd-rw

I'm going to try to figure it out in VM by messing with the emulation of the computer and see if the computer speed or amount of memory is the issue.

Any Ideas?

I figured it out. it has something to do with the amount of memory. I have 2 1gb stick of ddr2 , I took one out and it works. i'm not sure how to solve the issue with 2gbs in. Does it have something to do with page filing or virtual memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom