Program taking up 23GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyanAngel

Beta member
hey guys im new here so be gentle :)

While cleaning up some unused programs from my computer using Add/Remove files and I noticed a program using 23,566.00MB of hard drive space, a bit shocked about that much of my hard drive being dedicated to one program I tried to remove it only to recieve a message

Could Not open logfile 'C:\documents and setting\user1\desktop\ST6UNST.LOG'

I dont normally install programs to the desktop so the fact that the .log file should apparently be on the desktop is conserning.

I can not locate any directory for the program and can not find a way to check if it is actually taking up that much hard drive space or if it is a Windows XP bug.

If someone knows how to remove this and recover the space it is using I would greatly appreciate the help.

ST6UNST.LOG <-- possible keylogger from wintective
st6unst.log is associated with a dangerous computer parasite that attempts to violate your privacy by spying on you and stealing your confidential information or harm your system by running a devastating payload or spreading routine. The exact functionality of the st6unst.log file depends on the related parasite's type and purpose. In any case, you should NOT open this file!
The st6unst.log file is installed and used by keylogger Spyster.
In some cases a presence of st6unst.log does not mean that your system is infected. The file may actually belong to some fully legitimate applications and therefore must stay intact. If you are in doubt, please scan the st6unst.log file using you regular spyware remover or antivirus program.

If this program is there then it can not find that file, I would scan and (if nessary) remove it if i knew where it was.

The problem is that I know the event is happening, I just cant track it down to remove it.

If you could sudjest a good anti spyware program that will pick it up and remove it then please send me a link.

Also I do have a anti spyware program (all be it out of date) that could have deleted that file but not recovered the hard drive space that the .log file has taken in which case how do i get that space back? its taking up just under a quarter of my drive space if the file size is correct

Follow these instructions carefully

Download ALL 8 programs and update if needed.

Ad Aware SE Personal Free

Spybot Search and Destroy Free

Windows Defender 2 Beta

HijackThis Free

Ewido

CCleaner

Cleanup!

Follow these steps

Delete the prefetch folder C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch, this folder will come back on next reboot.

Delete all cookies and temporary internet files in the control panel.

Go to Start, run, type msconfig, go to startup, disable everything except your antivirus, Firewall, click apply, dont reboot yet.

Download Msconfig Cleanup below

Msconfig Cleanup Free

Run Msconfig Cleanup after you unchecked the items you were told to uncheck and recheck, click "Select All", then click "Clean up Selected", then click "Quit". Make sure your antivirus and firewall are not checked.

Now run each spyware program 1 by 1. Running all 3 at the same time will slow most systems down.

When each program has finished scanning, remove everything.

Now go to the recycle bin and delete everything that is in it.

When finished with the scans, reboot, and go into Safe Mode and run these scans again, remove everything they find, and then reboot back into Windows in normal mode. You dont need to run Hijackthis! yet.

Then run HiJackthis!

Save the log, copy and paste the log on www.techist.com
Do not attach the log, copy and paste always. This will make things go much faster.

thanks for the sudjestion mate, i'll run those scans tonight and while im at college tomorow. Will let you know if it works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom