Program install blocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fastvan67

In Runtime
Can anyone tell me of a program I can get that will keep people from installing things on my computer? My house computer is under attack all the time by the kids and there friends. I have uninstalled numerous programs that I have told them again and again not to install. They install things like AIM, MSN Messenger, napster, etc.. I built the computer and told them it was for playing games, listening to music and checking email. I said don't install anything without my permission. They even been to websites that install things without there knowing. Spyware crap. So, what can I used to put the breaks on? No install of anything without my password or something like that. The computer has win xp pro with sp2.

thanks

Your best bet is to make a Limited Account for them to use when you are not around. A Limited Account can not isntall applications without the authority of the Admin. That would be the best way to go.

Limited account OR you can try Zonealarm Firewall, you can set a password and enable ask for password when installing / extracting / downloading applications. This has worked many times for me, I have a pc where my sister's friends go on all the time when they come over and I usually end up finding it infected with spyware every time.
I'm on zonealarm internet security suite which costs, but you can see if they have that option in the free version

You can also put on parental control to limit the websites they view that gets the spyware?

How would I put on that type of controle? I'm not much on Windows programming. I'm a Linux Junky myself

I believe Willeh is talking about parental controls in IE. It's in Tool-> options.

There are a couple of downsides to that.
1. If you have firefox installed, these parental controls will do nothing
2. Websites have to be written to take advantage of parental controls for them to work.

The best bet would be to set up a restricted account for them.

There's parental control on some firewalls, for one I know that zonealarm has one. You just turn it on and tick the genre of websites that you want blocked

Well I'm using the whole suite and got v lucky managing to get myself a free activation key. Try the free one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom