Program appears to run and then does not

Status
Not open for further replies.

papaj

Solid State Member
Hi All,

I have a situation where I launch an application. An hour glass appears and it looks like the application will run but it does not.
Task Mamanger in windows does not show an instance of this applicaton running and CPU and Kernel usage are not high.

The OS is Windows XP SP1.

Any thought or ideas on how to diagnose or what is happening.

I have uninstall and then reinstall the program and restarted the machine.

Thanks

Papaj

It probably does just that - Program doesn't run.
You could try right clicking the program, choose "Properties" and, in the window which shows up, switch to "Compatibility" Tab.

Try experimenting with the settings and see the results. However, I doubt this will trully help. Program might be missing some of its routines and DLL files it requires for its function. Try (re)installing Visual Basic Runtimes (all of them - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) - they should be available on Microsoft's web site for download (or at least some of them). Download and then try again.

It's nearly impossible to diagnose something like that without knowing to which application you are referring to. So here's the question:

Which Program you're trying to execute?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I am trying to run a database application from a HMI SCADA package. This app is not a windows OS component. I believe your line of thinking is right, I have uninstalled and then reinstall the program with the same results. It might be the disk I am performing the install from, I may also try a reg cleaner on the PC.

Papaj

Disable the startup list in msconfig and restart the PC. Try the app again and it may load. I seen spyware do this from what calls I took as tech support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom