Profiles in Win 2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelcaress

Beta member
I am a newbie to administering Windows 2000. I installed it on my wife's computer to solve some problems she was having under Win98 -- which I am most familiar with.

Here's my problem:

My wife has two profiles under Windows 2000. One, the Administrator, and the other a Power User account. Now, the Admin account has all these programs installed, including wallpaper, that for some reason the other account can't use or access. Is there any way to "mirror" the Admin account settings and applications so that her User account can access them? It's kind of strange to see a virus scanner on Admin and not on the User.

I have an Admin/User setup so that if a hacker gains access he'll still have to figure out the Admin password in order to take control.

you cannot copy to or from the admin account while it is in use. make a second admin account. login on the second admin. follow copy profile instructions.

if you copy the profile to c:\documents and settings\default user the profile will created for each new user.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...y.mspx?mfr=true

To copy a user profile

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

1. Open System in Control Panel.

2. On the Advanced tab, under User Profiles, click Settings.

3. Under Profiles stored on this computer, click the user profile you want to copy, and then click Copy To.

4. Type the location for the new profile, or click Browse to select the path.

5. To choose a new user, in the Copy To dialog box, click Change.

6. To start your search, in the Select User or Group dialog box, type the complete name of the user, group, or built-in security principle you are looking for, and then click OK.

Note

• To open System, click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.

• To specify a built-in security principle, user, or group, in the Select User or Group dialog box, click Look For, and then click the object you want.

• To specify a domain to search, in the Select User or Group dialog box, click Look In, and then select the domain

• To further narrow your search, in the Select User or Group dialog box, click Advanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom