Product Key

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtrdude485

Baseband Member
so i have a question..... i've tried to read up on it but i'm still a little confused. so i have a pc which came with windows and its fried. so i'm building a new one. now technically, i have bought the rights to use that version of windows for life right? so i should be able to install it on my new system right? let me know if this is correct cuz it will save me about $150 which i can use on a sound card :D.

also, i think i understand this right... i dont have to format my 2 hdd's before i install windows(i want to run them raid 0 look at sig for specs)

No you didn't and it will not work. Ever since Windows 95 it was 1CD key=1 Computer

When you used your old PC a hardware profile was sent to a Microsoft server that identifies with only that CD key.

If you use your new computer and your old CD key it will not match the hardware profile when it is sent to microsoft and it will be identified as a bootleg copy.

Normally this is fine in your case because you own the a "actual ligit" key even though microsoft says you don't. But the problem is you cannot recieve software updates from microsoft.com or microsoftupdate anymore.

So your fine either way but if you want updates you will need a new CD key.

f*$&%^g William Gates. u think its worth it to drop the 150 on xp pro? i would just install my copy of home sp1 but i guess i could infuse sp2 i think i read that on here...

That will not work either.....

The CD has nothing to do with the CD key in your problem. Sadly your CD key is used so it only will work on your broken PC. You may use your CD Key on your new computer but you will not be able to get software updates via microsoft.com or microsoftupdate.

Rule is

1 CD Key used once for 1 Computer only and it will not work on other Computers regardless of the version of windows you use and what CD you use. Because When you first install windows the first time a file is sent to a microsoft server containing your hardware profile. If you use it on your new computer the hardware profile sent will not match the origanal hardware profile for the CD key making it "bootleg".

ok i understand. those programs that autodetect ur windows key..... it reports to u the key that microsoft has on file, the one that u used to install windows yea? and if i dont want to wait for the cd to come in the mail i can just buy a key correct?

I don't understand you. I said before getting a CD will do nothing as everything is deturmined by the CD key.

Why waste your money buying another CD when all you need is to buy a new CD key. The CD key you buy will also work with your old XP disc.

i know thats what im saying. ill just buy the key. but i am just curious... those programs that tell you what your product key is... do they tell you the key that microsoft has on file with all your info?

Again I don't understand

3rd party software cannot get your hardware profile from the microsoft server

There is no program made by microsoft that does this as the hardware profile is sent to the server during the activation process and it is fully integrated with windows if I'm not mistaken.

i know that part but there IS 3rd party software that detects ur current product key used in ur windows version. im just wondering if thats the same 1 as microsoft THEORETICALLY woudl have on their server. just curious thats all just bought xp pro from new eggggggggggggg

Yes there is a 3rd party software that will dectect your CD Key. Magicjellybean is one of them i think. I also believe that it is the same that was sent to M$. Also you might not have had to purchase the new CD as you could have contacted M$ and explained to them what had happened. I have done this myself. I bought XP Pro and my system totally crashed (garbage food) about 6 months later. I called and talked to a M$ rep and i was able to get a new CD Key right over the phone for my new system that i built. So sorry Tyler you are wrong and right in a way. It is correct that one CD key should be with one CD but not always. hench the Corporate Copies. I was able to use the same CD with 2 systems. Granted not the same key but it was the same CD. So it all depends on what actions you take if you can use the same CD. Also not all copies of XP had been activated. I have had a system running for 3 years now that i never activated until i had to get updates for the genuine advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom