Processor stuck @ 50% usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cedjunior

Daemon Poster
I'm having a little bit of a problem. Last night I was running a program to convert one video format to another, and since it was a large file it was going to take a while, I went to bed. I woke up this morning and my computer looked as though it had been restarted. I'm guessing it must have crashed overnight. Everything looked fine, except the Task Manager was showing cpu usage stuck @ 50%. When I turn on the option for one graph per cpu, it shows one of the cpu's (the left graph) running @ 95-100% and the other cpu running @ 1-2% (idle). When I look in the processes, there are no processes running that are using up that percentage of the processor speed, and actually the System Idle process is running @ ~97%. I didn't have a chance to do the standard trouble shooting, since I was waking up to get ready for work. But from my past experience(this happened once before), I would guess that disabling all the processes @ start up wont have any effect, and restarting in safe mode will show processor use back down to 1-2% @ idle but back up to 50% when restarted in normal mode. I think that time I just did a repair install and was done with it. I'd like to not have to do that this time. Any suggestions on how to resolve this problem? Oh and the processor is a P4 640 @ 3.2GHz and no unormal memory usage.

Seems as though I found the problem. I downloaded Process Explorer and found out that the processor usage was coming from the Hardware Interrupts and the Deferred Procedure Calls. I disabled my wireless network card and the cpu usaged went to 1-2% and stayed there. Enabled the wireless network card and it shot back up to 40-50%. So I uninstalled the drivers, took the card out of the pci slot and put it back in to a different slot, updated the drivers and reinstalled it. Now its not so bad, staying at 1-3% at idle and only occasionally going back up to 40-50%, which is still caused by the Hardware Interrupts and the Deferred Procedure Calls. I called DLink tech support and they have already authorized an RMA for me saying that the card is most likely defective. Since its behaving better, but not completely fixed, I'll have to keep an eye on it to make sure its still worh the RMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom