Processes Question

Torey316

Banned
Was wondering if having programs like steam,msi afterburner,razer synapse,skype,coretemp,nvcontrol panel,avg running in the background takes up much processing power? I have an old crappy processor so i guess every bit counts just wondering if closing all of these would help any noticeable bit in games. cpu is bottlencking gpu and it sucks, also does turning windows to basic help as much as some say?

Trying to figure out some ways to lift work off my processor so its maybe at 80-90% instead of always 95-100% in most games.

How much percent of the cpu are those programs using right now? If it's a high percentage, than yes it will make a difference to close them. If it's minimal, than closing them won't do much imo.

How much percent of the cpu are those programs using right now? If it's a high percentage, than yes it will make a difference to close them. If it's minimal, than closing them won't do much imo.

Well when they are just running in the background it says 0. The memory usage is different but I'm not too worried about that.

It's not using much of the cpu so just leave them running I guess.

Also, you can always try your gaming with everything closed off to see if it makes any difference. Depending on the outcome of the test, either have your programs on/off the next time.

If you have 4GB of RAM it could help in some games, but not much. AVG could hurt performance quite a bit if it decides to scan things randomly while gaming.
Your CPU isn't holding your 260 back as much as you think.

If you have 4GB of RAM it could help in some games, but not much. AVG could hurt performance quite a bit if it decides to scan things randomly while gaming.
Your CPU isn't holding your 260 back as much as you think.

I mean right now I just have the 9800GTX+ , 260 for 20 bucks from a friend will be here in a week or so should just be a small performance upgrade from 9800 with 512mb since I Play in 1920x1080 the 1 gig card should help a bit. But I mean my cpu is always at 100% and my gpu rarely ever goes above 60% at any times in any game. Isn't that alot of headroom? I overclock my gpu but I don't even know why to be honest. Cpu is at 100% in any game I ever play nowadays.

Well I guess in GW2 and BF3 are the only games that are holding it back that I play. CSGO I am around 75% so it shouldn't be bottlenecking there at all.

Can I overlock a gpu through bios? I dont like running msi afterburner really.

Nvm quick search found i cannot.

Last edited:
Actually, the 260 is 868MB and it will be a great upgrade over the 9800. The G92 chips were a spin off of the G80 (8800s) kind of like the 500 series is to the 400 (both Fermi). The 200 series was a completely new architecture and is much faster. If it's the core 216 the performance will be more comparable to a 275 than anything.

Your whole system could use an OC honestly.

Actually, the 260 is 868MB and it will be a great upgrade over the 9800. The G92 chips were a spin off of the G80 (8800s) kind of like the 500 series is to the 400 (both Fermi). The 200 series was a completely new architecture and is much faster. If it's the core 216 the performance will be more comparable to a 275 than anything.

Your whole system could use an OC honestly.

I oc'd my cpu and video card always have my gtx+ is from 735 stock and 1100 to 777 and 1250, anymore w.o increasing voltage causes particles and It wont let me increase voltage on afterburner on this card. and my 5600+ is stock 2.8 i have it to 3.1 on stock cooler so, dont want to go much more and honesly not sure if it could handle it.

wut else is there to oc?

Yeah, I dont want to push it too much more seeing as my temps are always either (broke) or they are always 51 degrees idle and 61 max gaming in like bf3 which its at 100% all the time.
Will have to lookup the reccomended temps for the cpu if the temp sensor is broke though I dont really want to push it anymore. It's an old ass cpu and I have zip money to replace it.

Back
Top Bottom