Problems with XP Service Pack 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 09:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Problems with XP Service Pack 2

I have recently installed XP Service Pack 2 on my computer but it seems to be giving me problems e.g. when I open My Computer, the torch appears and takes ages for the different drive letters to appear. In addition there were just other general problems like the Windows Explorer trying to connect to the web, which I don't remember it doing before. Generally, my computer is functioning worse than it was before.

Are people having similar problems to the one described here?

Old 09-09-2004, 10:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to qt 3.14159

Hi John,

The problems you're describing sound like it's possible that you're infected with spyware. Have you run spybot and adaware recently? Have you updated your anti-virus and run a full system scan?

Most of the changes SP2 made were security issues, so if you had some baddies installed, now that they aren't allowed to do there thing, it could certainly cause some of the problems you've described.

Old 09-09-2004, 10:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. I've got all those progs installed updated, and recently run. The problems seem to be a direct result of the SP. ??
Old 09-09-2004, 11:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to qt 3.14159

Ah, now don't I feel silly... especially since I used "there" instead of "their" in my previous post!

I have SP2 installed on several different machines and have had almost no problems. The only weird thing I've had happen is that now, if I open internet explorer and then windows messenger and click the click here to log in button it will reset the font size on my tool tips boxes (can be seen at http://img82.exs.cx/img82/8966/hovertxt.jpg if you're interested).

On your problem however, it seems like something has gone pretty wrong. I was thinking you might have spyware, because I've seen some install internet toolbars in windows explorer, which could be causing it to try to connect to the web. But since you say you have all your spyware stuff up to date, then that shouldn't be the problem in this case... soooo... I think the next thing I'd do is take a look at the running processes and see if there's anything hogging processor time. Also, I've had general computer slow down when my video card drivers weren't installed properly on a machine.

So after all that rambling, I guess I just have this to say...

Good luck! Sorry I wasn't more help!
Closed Thread