Problems with WMP and Explorer

kisamokichi

Solid State Member
Whenever I click on a music file/movie file to play in Windows Media Player, sometimes it will pop up, but not load. Other times, it wont pop up at all, but its still open in the Task Manager Processes. I also started having problems with Windows Explorer. Whenever I click on a folder, or the Explorer button on the taskbar, it wont open mostly, and when it does, it takes a very long time to search for folders, also when it says its fully loaded, nothing pops up, and I can't even navigate to another folder. I have a Dell Studio 1737, With windows 7 Home Premium installed (for some reason, it thinks my copy is counterfeit. :/ ), 500gbs storage (only half used), 5gb harddrive, and AMD drivers. I also recently replaced the charger because the old one had broken. Its a different style than the old one, but the site I bought it from said it was for Dell studio 1725 and up. The battery still has most of its life, as well. I haven't installed anything new lately besides my video converter, which was just an upgrade from the old version, and at the time, WMP still worked. Please help?

Try running a disk check and a system file check.
Start > type "cmd" (without quotes) > Right click > Run as Administrator

Type in the following command:
chkdsk c: /f /r

It will say it cannot lock the current drive and ask to run on next reboot. Type in Y and hit Enter. Reboot your system and let it run through.

After that's done and you're booted back into Windows, then open up Command Prompt as admin again.

Run the following command:

sfc /OFFBOOTDIR=C:\ /OFFWINDIR=C:\Windows\ /scannow

(Note the trailing \'s at the end of C:\ and C:\Windows\)

I did everything you said, but after I put in the last command, its telling me "The arguments passed to sfc are invalid. The offline Windows directory specified points to the online system." What now?

And what do you mean trailing \'s?

Actually, nevermind. It worked c: Thank you very much. It took almost 2 hours to do the first scan, but it was worth it ^^

Actually, nevermind. It worked c: Thank you very much. It took almost 2 hours to do the first scan, but it was worth it ^^

Is it performing a bit better now? Or are you still having issues?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TechForums

Most likely files that were corrupted or something similar. Usually a chkdsk fixes a lot of issues like that.

Thank you very much ^^ My stepdad thought it was a tunnel virus, but I highly doubt it since I run ccleaner and Avast antivirus every day.

Always a good idea to check for viruses / malware as well.

Run MalwareBytes Antimalware as well, just in case.

But otherwise, if the slowness is fixed from chkdsk, I'd say you're good to go.

Back
Top Bottom