Problems in WinXP - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 11:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Problems in WinXP

Hi, I have just reinstalled my Winxp on my D drive, while my original damaged Winxp still on C. As I am operating my OS in D, some strange problems happens. I can't seem to install java run time, I can't see the installing screen but its there, and my IE does not load certain websites such as msn.com or half of yahoo.com. Does it have anything to do with my OS in C? If I want to delete the OS in C, how would I do that? simply deleting the program files and windows?
Thanks

Old 01-29-2004, 03:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

do you have a dual-boot win xp? strange huh. well correct me if im wrong but you cant dual boot a system with the same operating system and if it happens, for sure you will run out of problems. If you dont have such an important file on both drive or If you have you files already back up. you better do a clean install by formating both partition. If you dnt know these things, click here or search for more on the net.
anyway, Xp is one of the esiest OS to install, go to you BIOS and change the boot setting and choose CD as your first boot and just follow the rest of the process.

-- Make This World a Better Place to live In... Care for all the Living --
Old 01-29-2004, 09:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Thanks for the reply.
I tried to format my C and D by using my Win98 bootdisk into DOS. But it can not detect my original C drive because it is NTFS. My D is in FAT32, which is why I had to install my Winxp on my D instead of C. Is there anyway to get around that? I can not format my HD from Windows, correct?
Asus P4P800-Dlx i865PE,800FSB Dual DDR400
WD 120G-8MB Buffer
LG 16X DVD
LG GSA4082B DVDRW 8X +/- Black
ATI Rdeon 9600XT 128M
Creative Audigy
512MB DDR PC3200
Old 01-29-2004, 11:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

first of all try converting ur D dirve in NTFS. the way to do that :
type this command : CONVERT D: /FS:NTFS.
then as ur two drives are in NTFS u can solve the problem.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

But I thought DOS can not detect NTFS, which is why only my D drive was showing. Is there anyway to solve this? I want to format my C drive (NTFS).
Old 01-29-2004, 02:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Since ur D drive is already bootable .. just format the C drive from within windows itself...

Right click on My computer >Manage>Disk Management ...

Format the drive in NTFS

AMD AthlonXP3000+@ 2.2GHz, Cooler Master Aero 7+, Gigabyte 7NNXP , 1GB Kingston HyperX PC3200 Dual Channel , MSI FX5600 VTDR 256 ,Pinnacle PCTV , 120+120GB Barracuda , Liteon 52x CDRW , Samsung DVDROM , Benq DW1620 16x DVD ReWriter, Phillips 21\" TV,Samsung Syncmaster 763MB,Logitech Cordless MX DUO , Thermaltake Silent PurePower 480W Butterfly Series PSU, Win XP SP2,RH9.
Creative DDTS100 Decoder, Creative Inspire TD7700 7.1 Speakers

Search TF B4 u post { Thanks for this one! Emily :) }
<form action=\"http://www.theriddlehouse.com/random/tfsearch.php\"><input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"><input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search!\"></form>
Old 01-29-2004, 06:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

Ok, if I do that, I will then boot from D drive all the time. Will that cause any problem with softwares or anything else since my OS is not on my primary drive? Thanks
Asus P4P800-Dlx i865PE,800FSB Dual DDR400
WD 120G-8MB Buffer
LG 16X DVD
LG GSA4082B DVDRW 8X +/- Black
ATI Rdeon 9600XT 128M
Creative Audigy
512MB DDR PC3200
Old 02-04-2004, 02:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

Do u have win Xp CD installer with you? you can do all these things, format, removing the partition and reinstalling a fresh copy of XP with your Cd installer. If you really want to format the drive, dont waste time converting your FAT partition to NTFS. anyway, just choose NTFS for both partition before you install WIN XP if you dont plan to dual boot your system with Win 98 or later since this OS cant read a NTFS file system.

goodluck.

-- Make This World a Better Place to live In... Care for all the Living --
Old 02-04-2004, 03:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Micro .. C isn't the system drive when he boots up from the D dive .. So he should be able to format the drive from within Xp itself ...

lavenderAC ...... No there's no problem if ur OS is not on the primary drive ..
The only problem i can think of is .. if ur installing some really old applications .. then u might hafta change the installation paths from c:\ ... to D:\....

AMD AthlonXP3000+@ 2.2GHz, Cooler Master Aero 7+, Gigabyte 7NNXP , 1GB Kingston HyperX PC3200 Dual Channel , MSI FX5600 VTDR 256 ,Pinnacle PCTV , 120+120GB Barracuda , Liteon 52x CDRW , Samsung DVDROM , Benq DW1620 16x DVD ReWriter, Phillips 21\" TV,Samsung Syncmaster 763MB,Logitech Cordless MX DUO , Thermaltake Silent PurePower 480W Butterfly Series PSU, Win XP SP2,RH9.
Creative DDTS100 Decoder, Creative Inspire TD7700 7.1 Speakers

Search TF B4 u post { Thanks for this one! Emily :) }
<form action=\"http://www.theriddlehouse.com/random/tfsearch.php\"><input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"><input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search!\"></form>
Closed Thread